Chantecler Breed Club

When they have them(Which they are out for the season this year as of a week ago) Cackle Hatchery carries a decent line of whites.

Those are nice looking birds. Do you breed for meat as well? Just wondering on if they have decent breast or pretty normal for most heritage breeds?

They aren't built like Cornishx birds, but do make good meat birds for heritage types. That cock bird is two years old and weighs a little over 8.5 pounds. He wasn't the largest in his group, but nearly. I kept three pullets this year, and one cockerel, who weighed 4.5 pounds at twelve weeks of age. We'll see how they look in a few more months! Mary

20180217_181153.jpg
Just got these 3 today. I'm so excited.
They are so calm. When I held the roo he started to fall asleep almost right away.

Thanks Banty. I've had a really hard time finding them. I went to a show today to talk to a well known breeder (who very rarely ever sells) and she sold me these 3. It's a definite start.

What's your experience with the breed?

Not much, I'm just starting out. I've had about 7 and I'm waiting on more. I wanted to have a couple dozen more chicks this year but I don't think it'll work out for more than a few. Oh well; I'll just have to be patient in building my breeding stock. They're lovely birds and I liked them so much I am selling all my other birds except the Ameraucanas to focus on them.
I've got buckeyes too, and I have to say, the chanties have already won me over.

Has anyone had brown feathers pop up in their whites? All of my cockerels have brown. I spoke to several breeders and they all said to just pluck out the brown .

I know that there's Rhode island red in their origin, but this is the 3rd generation that I've bred. The 1st 2 generations were pure white.

Back
Top Bottom