Chantecler Breed Club

Thanks Banty. I've had a really hard time finding them. I went to a show today to talk to a well known breeder (who very rarely ever sells) and she sold me these 3. It's a definite start.

What's your experience with the breed?

Thanks Banty. I've had a really hard time finding them. I went to a show today to talk to a well known breeder (who very rarely ever sells) and she sold me these 3. It's a definite start.

What's your experience with the breed?
Not much, I'm just starting out. I've had about 7 and I'm waiting on more. I wanted to have a couple dozen more chicks this year but I don't think it'll work out for more than a few. Oh well; I'll just have to be patient in building my breeding stock. They're lovely birds and I liked them so much I am selling all my other birds except the Ameraucanas to focus on them.

20180218_170510.jpg

Not much, I'm just starting out. I've had about 7 and I'm waiting on more. I wanted to have a couple dozen more chicks this year but I don't think it'll work out for more than a few. Oh well; I'll just have to be patient in building my breeding stock. They're lovely birds and I liked them so much I am selling all my other birds except the Ameraucanas to focus on them.
I've got buckeyes too, and I have to say, the chanties have already won me over.

Has anyone had brown feathers pop up in their whites? All of my cockerels have brown. I spoke to several breeders and they all said to just pluck out the brown .

I know that there's Rhode island red in their origin, but this is the 3rd generation that I've bred. The 1st 2 generations were pure white.

Bob, it sounds like a recessive popping up. Maybe consider getting an outside bird or two? Either a separate group, or a couple of females to cross into your line (carefully). As a non-show breeder, I want good everything too, but am not totally reluctant to bring in new blood.
As an aside, I've had a small group of Belgian d'Uccles since 1992 or 1993, and do introduce outside stock sometimes. My gene pool is just too small! Once I got birds with wry tails from a 'SQ' breeder, and eliminated them fast! I think that if I hadn't added new genetics occasionally, the group would have failed completely.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom