Chantecler Thread: Buff, Patridge, White, Red and any rare colors!

I see so may different looking younger Partridge Chantecler's on all websites/forums. My girls/guys all look so different, I find some pictures look more like Welsummer's (I have some of those too) way more than they look like Partridge Chantecler. Mine are about 12 weeks old, a few of them have feathered feet. I think they are gorgeous - but they don't look like other Partridge Chantecler? I kid you not, these picture's don't do justice to how colorful these chickens are - it's stunning really, don't you think? I have some others mixed in with the PC's...

Ahhh...success! I found out I have 4 Partridge Brahma's not Partridge Chantecler's! That explains the blue down & feathered feet. I wish some chicken breeders actually knew what they had
idunno.gif

I'm quite happy with that, now I can continue my breeding program
yippiechickie.gif

I was given a partridge chantecler roo and he is a mean SOB! About 5 months old I think.
He chases the chickens and pecks at them for no reason, goes around growling all the time, will rush my guineas and Indian Runner Ducks.
I'm in Cambridge, Ontario.
Anyone want him before I make stew out of this jerk?
He's freeranged and has a BAD attitude....no wonder the lady gave him to me. LOL

Quote:
Oh thats trouble! I feel your pain. I have one White Chantecler Roo that jumps on the back of bog turkeys to peck their head and neck. His name has become "Christmas Chicken Pot Pie", but I call him all sorts of colourful things when I am in the yeard with him. I should through in there that the other Roo's are fine, so I dont think its a breed issue, just a jerk chicken.

Last edited:
Is this a red or buff chantecler?I bought 4 of them at the feed store and they were labeled as red, but they don't really look red. One of them is a little different color than this, like a pinkish color.

Yes that is a Red Chantecler. They originated as a cross between the Partridge Chantecler and I think the Buff Chantecler. The reds have various color patterns and shades and as a whole not much consistency. I think there are breeders who are aiming for solid red color as the breed standard, if it ever gets that far. 2 of my hens looked similar to your photo and the other one was a solid red color.

Thanks! That is good and bad news for me, good because they seem super rare (none of my many poultry catalogs sell them) and bad because now I probably will have a hard time finding a rooster. I had planned on getting some roos from meyer hatchery, who have the buff variety, but now,
idunno.gif
What will result if I breed the red hens to a buff rooster?

Any chantecler breeders in or near southeast Nebraska? I just started with chickens last year (Buckeyes and Favarolles) and loved them. As winter egg laying slowed to a stand still in the area this winter I got to thinking about white Chanteclers. I just can't find any around and Sand Hill is sold out through this year. I want to find a breeder if I can rather than the big hatcheries; had a great experience with my breeder last year but he doesn't have Chanteclers. Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks everyone.
Nate

Back
Top Bottom