Chantecler Thread!

4 weeks old this Sunday.
IMG_20230720_093750_670.jpg

The picture in the post above does not show color differences very well.

The chicks are now a mix of white on wings and the yellow they were born with on remaining visible chick fuzz. The differences between pure yellow and those with a darker hue when born are much less pronounced.

I think I can see traces of emerging comb and wattle on the male candidates; nothing on the others but still early.

Last edited:
This post is about one of my Chant chicks but is probably generic to all breeds.

My 12 chicks will be 5 weeks old this Sunday; I started the flock integration process at 4 weeks 2 days. The first couple of days they pretty much stayed in one back corner except to eat and drink.

As mentioned in a post above I can see traces of emerging comb and wattle on what I think are male candidates. One of those discovered an opening on the left end of the containment panel and decided to see what the larger coop was about. It has now done this at least 3 times, when I checked for eggs just before noon today it was out and several Barred Rock hens were watching.

It was my plan to allow several weeks before opening the chick door. Given my adventurous one I have opened that door and am now watching to see how things progress. Probably worth noting that there are places in the coop proper that are too low for a grown bird to access and provide spots to dodge away.

Clearly different chicks have different traits... I will band this particular bird and watch it grow.

I don't know how chantecler-specific this is, but I'll start here.

I'd always heard that when the lights go out that chickens enter a deep comatose sleep.

Mine always seem pretty alert whenever I go to close the coop door, no matter how late or dark it is.

Is it just a myth, or a function of age (mine are still pretty young), or breed, or something else?

Back
Top Bottom