Chantecler Thread!

It only takes one to start... everyone out into the coop proper.

IMG_20230731_120630_230.jpg

IMG_20230731_120849_346.jpg

Looks like no drama!! That is great.
The breeder I got my original Chanteclers from cited their calm demeaner, including roosters, during my pick-up visit.

He maintains that bad behaviour in a Chantecler is a consequence of owner's behaviour. So far that is my experience; I have eighteen adult birds, twelve 6 week old chicks, one rooster, no drama.

Last edited:
The breeder I got my original Chanteclers from cited their calm demeaner, including roosters, during my pick-up visit.

He maintains that bad behaviour in a Chantecler is a consequence of owner's behaviour. So far that is my experience; I have eighteen adult birds, twelve 6 week old chicks, one rooster no drama.
I see you are not horribly far from me, I live 20 miles south of the Canadian border on the west side of VT. We stopped overnight in Pembroke several times going to and from Wisconsin when DD2 was in college. There was a good Mexican restaurant there called Santa Fe. It closed so we started going to Deep River where the "sister" restaurant is. It is smaller so less selection but the food was still good.

Too bad we can't sneak a few WC chicks over the border ;)

My chicks are now 7 weeks and integrated with the main flock. This morning I went to collect eggs and feed/water. One of the pullets has ventured into the run; guessing it was being harassed so it found a place to hide. I lifted it down and back to the coop.

IMG_20230825_111503_401.jpg
IMG_20230825_111514_697.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah I was surprised how early they could fly well. Glad to hear they're sorting themselves out.
As am I. Also surprised at their size, at least half of my Barred Rock and mixed breeds in less than two months.

I follow @aart 's integration guidelines (https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/integrating-chicks-into-flock-at-4-weeks-old.1159151/), have done so several times. This integration was very easy with the Chant chicks eager to mix in quickly and very little push back from the adult flock. My experience with Chanteclers supports their description as having a docile temperament; very happy to have them.

Back
Top Bottom