Chantecler Thread!

Tara, ya I can see what you mean by the butt feathers is so much easier.

Base on head shape.....lets say 1st and last are pullets and middle pic is male?

Tara, I enjoy the little guessing games. Gave me new insights too. Btw your projects birds have potentials, keep up the good work :)

Last edited:
I would like to obtain some Partridge Chantecler. Eggs, chicks, or whatever. I'm in Western Nebraska, very near Wyoming if that matters. Ideas?

Do you just want these birds for fun and eggs, or are you looking into eating/breeding/showing them? The hatchery Partridge Chanteclers seem like a fine fit for a nice backyard layer, but their coloration, quality, and size isn't anywhere near the birds available by some breeders. So, you may want to consider looking for a breeder that will ship. You can check to see if John Blehm, Mike Gilbert, Shelly Oswald, or any other CFI members still have chicks, and hatching eggs available for the 2015 season. All of those breeders, are very capable of giving you an excellent start into Partridges, or redirecting you to another breeder.

Do you just want these birds for fun and eggs, or are you looking into eating/breeding/showing them? The hatchery Partridge Chanteclers seem like a fine fit for a nice backyard layer, but their coloration, quality, and size isn't anywhere near the birds available by some breeders. So, you may want to consider looking for a breeder that will ship. You can check to see if John Blehm, Mike Gilbert, Shelly Oswald, or any other CFI members still have chicks, and hatching eggs available for the 2015 season. All of those breeders, are very capable of giving you an excellent start into Partridges, or redirecting you to another breeder.

I doubt I would ever show, but the size of "heavy breeds" from hatcheries now adays is disappointing. I think I would like to start with some good quality birds rather than get something less and try to breed up. Hatching eggs would be fine, or chicks for that matter. I don't see contact info for Mike Gilbert or Shelly Oswald on the CFI website

Hey everyone on Chantecler thread. I live in Michigan and we are still trying to survive our coldest winter ever!! Last year I sold off my beautiful white Canadian Chantecler's....I know, what Was I THINKING?? I really miss them, they were one of my favorite breeds.
I had Greg Oakes line from Ontario too!! Oh well, whats done is done. Does anybody here have any fertile eggs they'd sell me? May 4-6 of them?? Pleeeeese??
I have some new varieties coming in early April, would like to be able to incubate and raise them together. So, as soon as possible.

Back
Top Bottom