Chantecler Thread!

Ok. so if a the White Chantecler was of ideal coloring, what would be its' genotype? What allele and what other genes. Would eb involved? Is it eWh or eb or?
Thanks,
Karen

Hi Tara,
Thank you for the very educational post. I have the Van Dort book and was asking because of what I have read in it.
Best,
Karen

Your Chantecler Breeder SHOULD know the answer to your original question. Go ask them as that would be their responsibility to you as a new owner of the strain they have produced.

I started a conversation with them before ever posting on BYC. Their birds, the parents of my birds, come from a long time breeder/exhibitor, however they themselves have only been in the breed a short time and haven't started doing test breedings to find out what genetics the white might be hiding. I don't know if they asked their breeder these questions. For me it was simply basic curiosity since the chicks weren't the color I expected, maybe later it might be worth "going up the chain" to ask the original breeder if they know. Since in my opinion the purpose of forums like these are discussion and education, I thought this would be a good place to start a discussion on it, in addition to some private discussions, other people might also be curious, but also other people might have seen chicks these colors and already have an idea of what that might indicate.

I am not planning to start a breeding program of Chanteclers, so for me it's just general curiosity. In the 10+ years I've had chickens I've researched all sorts of genetics with various breeds, auto sexing, sex linked, barring, lacing, how various colors are created, etc. and played around with some of those genetics. These birds will go in the rest of my flock, which is currently made up of a variety of breeds and cross breeds. If they outperform my other birds then I may pursue getting more and actually working with them, but first they have to impress me enough with their dual purpose properties to feel it's worth putting the time/effort/expense into. I'm hoping being a white breed, where the focus isn't on perfect lacing, that deep mahogany red color, etc that this will be one of the breeds I decide is a keeper.

Thanks for the posts, and the examples. It's always easier to get a mental image if people include photos and not just descriptions.

Last edited:
Hello,

I was hoping that you could give me some input....

I ordered three mystery chicks from my pet chicken and one of the *could be's* listed on the website was a Buff Chantecler... or Exchequer Leghorn.

Do you think that this chick could be one of those???

LL

LL

I'm looking for Chantecler hatching eggs- I live in Maine and I've got one buff hen and really would love some more, any color other than white considered.

Hello,

I was hoping that you could give me some input....

I ordered three mystery chicks from my pet chicken and one of the *could be's* listed on the website was a Buff Chantecler... or Exchequer Leghorn.

Do you think that this chick could be one of those???

LL

LL
I do not think it is either of the above breeds. Perhaps, a white Leghorn?

Exchequer Leghorn chicks have a white base with black spotting.

I am pretty sure I see a single comb on that bird, and the color looks like this bird will grow up to be white. While looking at this chick, I am also not seeing the same stockyness and sturdy head that is on Chanteclers.

Hello everyone! So... today by chance, I picked up 4 Chantecler's. My intention was to get 6 Plymouth Rocks (and increase my heritage breeds in my flock), but the gent had these as well.. and we all know how chicken math works! So.. it may take me some time to go back and read the whole thread, but I intend to learn about this breed as much as I possibly can as I know close to nothing about them! My location is NS Canada, so this breed does seem as if it is the perfect fit for us, and their button combs are ideal for our winters!

Back
Top Bottom