Chantecler Thread!

Karen,

You can give me a call ... mornings are best, it would be easier to explain on the phone. I am not sure who you talked to but there are not many individuals with NPIP in PA.

It was intimidating as PA is much more stringent than other states about some aspects, but Dr Hanshaw and the local Dept of Ag have been good to me. You do need to have bloodwork done (have to be at least 16 weeks), application for the program, inspection of your hatchery and flock, hatching and brooding birds in separate rooms and somewhat know the regulations of what is required by the federal program. All has to be clean/sanitary. You have to be hatching for the inspection and bloodwork for at least Pullorum and AI back before inspection is scheduled. It is definitely more of a fuss and takes time and effort, not sit back and someone does it for you and waves a magic wand like some other states. Being free/day range and on pasture has been an issue along with our pig, but we are working through it.

Shel

PS ... I would not say that PA has "extra" regulations but PA definitely enforces more of the NPIP program regs than some other states I am aware of.

Last edited:
Hatching and brooding in different rooms? What a pain, sigh. well I'll think about you and maybe I'll give you a call later on . okay, thanks so much for all the information, I really appreciate it!
Karen

Hatching and brooding in different rooms? What a pain, sigh. well I'll think about you and maybe I'll give you a call later on . okay, thanks so much for all the information, I really appreciate it!
Karen

Yes. In the following, mind the "must" vs the "should" as far as what will be required vs recommended. The program is primarily focused on protecting industrial production.

Subpart A & E would apply to us on this doc: https://www.poultryimprovement.org/documents/AuxilliaryProvisionsAugust122016.pdf

Another relevant doc: https://www.poultryimprovement.org/documents/BestManagementPracticesHatcheries.pdf

Here are the main regulations on testing (read this one last - mostly lab standards): https://www.poultryimprovement.org/documents/ProgramStandardsJanuary2017.pdf

I have purchased hatching eggs from Quebec. They are in the incubator. Hoping I get a few chicks to add some new genetics to my small flock of 1 roo and 6 hens.

Karen, I'm eager to see your white Chanties this fall; that's a long time to wait for them! Right now I'm looking for a home for Junior, my one year old rooster, who yesterday decided to fight with his daddy. No real injuries, but there's now only room for one of them here. He's a nice big bird, not likely SQ, but polite and handsome anyway. Anyone near southern Michigan looking for a white rooster? Let me know. Mary

We've had 11 of these hatch this month all look similar. What do y'all think?

I'm dipping my toe into the PC pool this year... Nice to see other owners on here. I have two, so far, which are only a few weeks old.

Carey:

Back
Top Bottom