Chantecler Thread!

What's the proper eye colour? I'll have to keep an eye out for that for the next chick I pick up. I'll probably go to the same breeder I've gotten quite a few nice birds from her of different breeds
Red bay. Just remember eye colour is superficial and should not make you choose a poorly shaped specimen for its eye colour.

Red bay. Just remember eye colour is superficial and should not make you choose a poorly shaped specimen for its eye colour.

Thank you! Good to know, next year I'll be building a new coop and run just for white chanteclers and I'll start breeding them but before then I have to do a lot of reading into the standard and how to pick propper birds

Thank you! Good to know, next year I'll be building a new coop and run just for white chanteclers and I'll start breeding them but before then I have to do a lot of reading into the standard and how to pick propper birds
Got yourself a copy of the APA SOP yet? There's some fantastic information in there on selecting birds.

Got yourself a copy of the APA SOP yet? There's some fantastic information in there on selecting birds.

Not yet! This is my first year with chickens so I wanted a wait a year to make sure I can properly take care of them before I got into breeding, but I will get a copy to read over the winter so come spring I'm prepared.. when I started researching chickens a while ago I knew I wanted to get into breeding but I couldn't decide which breed, but what better one than Canadas own chantecler!

Not yet! This is my first year with chickens so I wanted a wait a year to make sure I can properly take care of them before I got into breeding, but I will get a copy to read over the winter so come spring I'm prepared.. when I started researching chickens a while ago I knew I wanted to get into breeding but I couldn't decide which breed, but what better one than Canadas own chantecler!
Good man. You'll do well. :clap

I did that too... spent 3 years taking care of cheap feed store birds to make sure I could keep them alive first.

Last edited:
I have a question about leg color; my birds all had lovely yellow legs, and I know that the hen's leg color will fade when they are in lay. But, my two year old cock bird also has faded white legs, and he's not laying any eggs! They all eat Flock Raiser, free choice oyster shell, and free range on several acres of horse pasture and a spruce hedge. Why? All their chicks have nice dark yellow legs too. Mary

Attachments

• IMG_0639.JPG
    IMG_0639.JPG
    745.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0651.JPG
    IMG_0651.JPG
    529.4 KB · Views: 9
Carey 2/Yellow Band
Still best looking of all three. Colour is good, chest is all black from what I can see so far. Hackle is nice too but the sun washed it out. Gorgeous comb and wattles, Java/Blue Band has tad better ones but not by much at all.
acarey-jpg.1152508

Java/Blue Band
Poor guy looks very awkward all the time. Needs to fill out... Too dark for my tastes. PERFECT comb, and I mean perfect!
ajava-jpg.1152510

Tank/Green Band
My favourite, even if he isn't the best. Huge in size and structure, healthiest of all of them, free movement, sweet temperament---if only I could give him Carey's backline and comb. I like this shade of red on him but his hackle feathers need them black diamonds in the centre like the other two have. What might be interesting to note is he feathered the fastest and most even out of the whole group.

Tail/back definitely is inferior, its set is such that it makes a flat line. While it looks nice, it's not what they're supposed to be.
atank-jpg.1152514

atank2-jpg.1152515

Bumps on comb... He has x-large wattles too.
acomb-jpg.1152509

Hopefully this image will give some sense of how much larger Tank (back left) is compared to Java and Carey.
asize-jpg.1152512

Sweetheart/Orange Band
I'm sure you can see for yourself why I haven't even entertained the thought of hatching from her... In my opinion she is inferior in body type as well as being way out there in colour.
asweetheart-jpg.1152513

Alex/Clear Band
I do quite like her tail and back, correct me if I'm wrong. Has shafting in back feathers and the only pencilling on her is on her chest and it's very messy. Overly light hackle border, but centres are even and pure black. Nice head; comb and wattles are great as well as the shape.
Feathers could be less orp-ish and tighter in the back.
alex-jpg.1152511

Back
Top Bottom