Chantecler Thread!

Pics
Further west, I think (if you are in Michigan). But, it may be easier for you to smuggle eggs across the border, especially if you have friends just on the other side.

A google search just now suggests perhaps it was selective memory that caused me to think they were more readily available in Western Canada.

It seems that this breed is in dire need of "salvation". It's a shame that there's not more dedicated breeders with show quality birds. I'm sure they're out there, but choose to remain hidden.
sad.png

Quote:
I had considered ordering from Sand Hill...but they don't offer Marek's vaccination.
sad.png
So for now, I'm holding off. I may change my mind, though...only time will tell!
pop.gif

I'm still holding hope that I can find a breeder.
fl.gif
And if not, I may just order some from a few hatcheries, keep the best, cull the rest, and go from there. It'll take a lot of work, but then again, all good things do!
thumbsup.gif

hey , all i have 1 pair of bantam white chanteclers , also you may hear people refer to the white as the orgenal chantecler, as the pertgige were orgnaly devloped as a nother breed in alberta , but were so close to the white's they became the partgige chantecler. I have herd talk as to that there are very few "chanteclers" left (refering to the whites) it seems some people think most of the chanteclers are re makes. There is black chanties in Qu. and a local breeder was working on blue , but do not now if she is still working on them.

Kathy, I was browsing and found this thread, then went to the BYC breed index to see more info on them. The Chanteclers page was created by SettlersDreamFarm, so maybe you could contact him/her. The pics showing are white and partridge.

My three large fowl Partridge Chanteclers are now 20 weeks old. Looking forward to eggs in a few weeks? Right now they are housed with some Delaware pullets of the same age. I expect the Delawares to start laying sooner than the Chanteclers, so maybe the Delawares will give the Chanteclers a lesson about how it's done.

I have two pullets, one of which does not appear to be of good quality. First a comparison of the combs of the two pullets:

13544_pcp1b.jpg
13544_pcp2b.jpg

It's a little hard to tell in the photos, but the first has a couple rows of barely visible points; the second's comb is almost non-existent, like I assume a pullet's cushion comb should be.

Here are two pictures of the comb of my only cockerel:
13544_pcc1b.jpg
13544_pcc1c.jpg

It's pretty smooth -- no defined ridge -- and it is bigger than the second pullet's comb. It looks right to me.

Now for the feathering of the pullets:
13544_pcp1a.jpg

13544_pcp2a.jpg

The first is obviously not right. The second is darker than the Partridge Chanteclers I have seen in pictures (in this thread for instance). I think it's pretty, but I am new to this and would appreciate any knowledgeable opinions. The pattern in the wing feathers is different from smaller feathers on her body, is this normal?

And, the cockerel (who was pushing himself into the corner to get away from the camera):
13544_pcc1a.jpg

His feathers still give me the impression of the juvenile that he is. It reminds me of the awkward stages of Junior High School. He's been crowing for barely two weeks, but up until two weeks ago he had two other cockerels in the pen with him and one of them was crowing early and the obvious leader of the boys.

Someone mentioned earlier in this thread that they had obtained some John Blehm culls. These birds are from a John Blehm line, though I did not purchase them directly from Blehm. I mention this in way of background only, I do not know how many generation they are removed from Blehm's farm and I mean to make no claim of quality based upon where they came from. But, I am wondering if my first pullet resembles the Blehm culls.

I'm looking for any opinions from those that know a thing or two about Partridge Chanteclers. I do not have great expectations for these birds, so you will not be letting me down if you are critical.

I caught my Partridge Chantecler cockerel mating with a Delaware pullet today. Good news because the last time I saw him attempt this sort of behavior he wasn't doing it right. He's about 22 weeks old. The Partridge Chantecler pullets he is with haven't started laying (the same age Delawares have).

Tim, have your Partridge pullets started laying yet? Most Partridge Chanteclers start laying around 24-28 weeks. The combs are good so far. The Partridge Chanteclers do have more of a cushion comb present than the White Chanteclers, so having a small, raised comb is normal. You may see the comb develop as one smooth area or with a line or two across it, dividing it into two or three smaller cushions.

The feathering in the second pullet photo looks to be on track so far. The first pullet is definitely of poor feathering, but then you saw that very early on. Your cockerel has nice deep red head, neck, and saddle feathers. Ideally you want black legs and chest and you could see this develop as he continues to mature. His tail is the correct green colour and you want to see the green feathers on his wings as well.

As for mating.....it can take cockerels a year sometimes to figure it out so your guy's on the right track!

Back
Top Bottom