Chantecler Thread!

Pics
Quote:
If this is directed at me, I'm from Maine, US. My Partridge Chanteclers came from the Blehm line, though not directly.

Quote:
One of mine was making a big to do in front of a laying box yesterday which struck me because it seems unusual. My sample size (two pullets) is very small, though.

Quote:
I just got an order of chicks from Sandhill that have both buffs and reds. I bet you could order some from them.

Quote:
If this is directed at me, I'm from Maine, US. My Partridge Chanteclers came from the Blehm line, though not directly.

sorry no, will got make that more clear

The Chanteclers are quiet except right at the moments just before or after they lay and egg. For several minutes they will do their egg-laying sounds, but otherwise they are quiet birds.

One point to note, the two colours of the Chantecler are White and Partridge. I think some reference has been made to "Reds", but those are the Partridge Chanteclers.

Quote:

This seller has them listed as Red Chantecler yet the photo is of a Partridge Chantecler hen:

http://www.efowl.com/Red_Chantecler_Chickens_p/1148.htm

I have now read the listing on Ideal Poultry for the "Red" Chanteclers (found here: https://secuservices.com/ideal/newideal/selectproduct.aspx?qty=1&ID=RCHP&Product=1052). As they say, it is simply Ideal crossing a Buff with a Partridge. The Whites and Partridges are a rare, heritage breed which are endangered.

http://www.rarebreedscanada.ca/poultry_breeds.htm

The breeders of the Buff Chantecler have been trying for years to have the Buff colour recognized by the American Poultry Association. Time will tell if the Buff's are ever recognized, likewise Ideal's Red's. Until then the APA recognizes Chanteclers as the following:

Chantecler Chicken

The Chantecler originated in the Quebec Province of Canada and is a fine example of a dual-purpose breed. Brother Wilfred Chatelain first thought of the idea for the Chantecler when he was walking through the Oka Agricultural Institute’s poultry flocks, in Quebec, and realized there was no breed of chicken from Canada; all of the breeds being used in Canada originated in Europe or America. He wanted to create a breed of chicken that could stand the harsh climate of Canada, and that could be used for both egg and meat production.

From the French ‘chanter,’ “to sing,” and ‘clair,’ “bright,” the Chantecler is the first Canadian breed of chicken. Under the supervision of Brother Chatelain, the monks of the Cistercian Abbey in Oka, Quebec, sought to create, “a fowl of vigorous and rustic temperament that could resist the climatic conditions of Canada, a general purpose fowl.” Although work began on this breed in 1908, it was not introduced to the public until 1918, and admitted to the American Poultry Association Standard of Perfection in 1921.

The Chantecler was created by first crossing a Dark Cornish male with a White Leghorn female, and a Rhode Island Red male with a White Wyandotte female. The following season pullets from the first cross were mated to a cockerel from the second cross. Then selected pullets from this last mating were mated to a White Plymouth Rock male, thus producing the fowl as seen today. Although this produced a pure White Chantecler, Dr. J. E. Wilkinson of Alberta, Canada, decided to create a similar chicken with a color pattern more suited to range conditions, one whose color pattern would blend with its background. He crossed the Partridge Wyandotte, Partridge Cochin, Dark Cornish, and the Rose Comb Brown Leghorn, to create the Partridge Chantecler. The Partridge Chantecler was admitted into Standard in 1935.

The breed is noted for having nearly no wattles and a small cushion comb – the comb appearing much like a small round button sitting low on the head. The small comb and wattles allow this breed to withstand the cold Canadian winters without worry of frostbite. Not surprisingly, the breed is noted for being very hardy, is an excellent layer of brown eggs with a reputation as a good winter layer, and has a well-fleshed breast.

The Chantecler can still be found in both of its original colors, White and Partridge; both having yellow flesh and legs. It is an excellent choice for anyone wanting a productive fowl that will excel in a wintry climate. The breed is noted for being calm, gentle, and personable.

Breed clubs and associations:
The American Livestock Breeds Conservancy, Box 477, Pittsboro, NC 27312, (919) 542-5704, email [email protected], www.albc-usa.org

American Poultry Association, PO Box 306, Burgettstown, PA15021, email [email protected], www.amerpoultryassn.com

Society for the Preservation of Poultry Antiquities, Dr. Charles R.H. Everett, Secretary, 122 Magnolia Lane, Lugoff, SC, 29078, email [email protected]

Last edited:
I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with Chanteclers and hot summers. I live in an area that can have prolonged winter temp below 20*F and yet we can also have prolonged summer temps above 80*F lows AT NIGHT with 100*F+ days. The birds all have shade and greenery for a lower micro-climate, and I use hillbilly air-conditioning for them (frozen water bottles).

Has anyone kept them in hot areas?

Quote:
I think this guy was taken by a predator today...I found a pile of feathers that look like his and see no sign of him (nor do I hear him). Strange in that there were nearly a dozen bigger, slower, Freedom Rangers in the yard with him at the time.

This leaves me with just a single pullet of breeding quality. I think I may try the food-coloring-in-her-vent trick to see if I can single out her eggs and hatch a few. I guess it was time anyway, but I was going to wait until I had something else to go in the incubator at the same time.

Back
Top Bottom