Chantecler Thread!

Pics
Quote:
I think this guy was taken by a predator today...I found a pile of feathers that look like his and see no sign of him (nor do I hear him). Strange in that there were nearly a dozen bigger, slower, Freedom Rangers in the yard with him at the time.

False alarm. He showed up in the coop tonight and has obviously lost a few feathers. I think he must have been a bit shaken because I didn't see or hear him all afternoon.

I haven't counted the Rangers to see if one of them turned into the eventual victim.

Quote:
I live in Northern Illinois. We have winters that dip below zero and summers that get to the 90's, with humidity it gets extra nasty. (90's during the day) I've had two buff Chantecler pullets/hens since last summer, and four male and 6 pullets that were hatched in February.

We've been having temps in the high 80's low 90's recently. The Chantecler are fine. The two hens went broody. One is still sitting the other hatched eggs (in the same nest as a Salmon Faverolles). Both are fine. The coop is pretty hot but the one still sitting on eggs looks good to me.

The others who are about four months old now are great. They are more active than the other breeds that hatched at the same time. They spend the hottest part of the day in the shade, until I come outside, then they mob me for treats or to just hang out. I think the lighter buff color helps them.

Here are some pics of our Partridge Chantecler rooster from Ideal Poultry. We lost the hens so he is the flock rooster for some Ideal Ameraucanas. We have three chicks from him. He is not an overly aggressive rooster. He will protect the hens but they free range from the barn so he's not in a confined area.

I included some pics of our past Partridge Chantecler chicks.

It is very hot and humid in Kentucky but he seems not to be bothered. He is still breeding.

51260_20100327_kentukcyvisit_034.jpg

51260_20100327_thechantecler2.jpg

51260_20100327_thechantecler.jpg

51260_20100327_partridgechantecler.jpg

51260_20090503_chanteclers.jpg

51260_20100327_partridgechanteclerhead_copy.jpg

Here's my baby partridge, eggs from Carole AM, she is 6 weeks old. She was born with splayed legs and is the runt of the hatch, but I'm sure she'll catch up. She was the only one that hatched sadly

41441_partridge_chant.jpg

Quick question, but what of chanteclers that are not of typical markings as chicks??

MY boyfriend and I have 14, which were ordered from CM Game Bird Farm and Hatchery and upon arrival we noticed that some were not just buffs/reds/partridges. One has a faint chipmunk pattern, on what looks to be buff coloring and three others were buff/buff-red and had a spot on their head.

The chicks are not about three weeks old and in the middle of their first molt (?) so I will be sure to post more pictures as they become available, but was just wondering if this was something that anyone has seen before. Needless to say, I am only posting two pictures - as the rest are faded out, or blurred (little things don't seem to like the Blackberry taking pictures.)

IMG00035-20100618-2150.jpg

IMG00041-20100618-2209.jpg

Anyone got anything? They are all doing fine and seem to be growing up very nicely. The partridges, in comparison to our buffs, seem a little slow in terms of their wing growth, is this common?

I also have an off-color chantecler, but from Sand Hill. I love it and I hope it stays this way! I'm still in shock at the color.
ep.gif
It should be a buff. I may ask them about it.....maybed they'll have more.

50716_millechante2.jpg

50716_millichante3.jpg

50716_millechante1.jpg

So far, the only noticable difference between this one and the buffs is the feathering. Comb, legs, body type all look the same. What fun.

Quote:
hummm, you say it was sapoused to be buff. will it has the mille fluer colour pattern, i think i will go and do some looking to see what breeds went in to the buffs.

I love my whites, even though they are bantams, i love them because they are white

I have some Partridge birds I'm about to start thinning out- is anyone interested in any? They come from John Blehm and are around 6 weeks. I'm not at all sure of genders...

Back
Top Bottom