Chantecler Thread!

Pics
Out of 23 Partridge Chantecler eggs I set, 18 made it to lockdown and 1 is pipping already! They aren't due to hatch until Thursday.

jumpy.gif

sweeeeeeeeeeeet

I currently have 18 chantecler eggs in the bator, due to hatch on March 18th! Some partridge and some reds...I have had partridge and buffs in the past but had to sell due to a move..now I am finally going to be up and running again! Yeah!

Two days in a row I have found a pullet egg in my coop, the first on the floor next to the waterer, the second under a pullet in a nest box. She's learning!

I have four pullets that are almost 6 months old. Their mother has laid small eggs through the winter (with extra light in the coop).

TimG, did you ever find answers to your genetics questions?

congrats on the pullet eggs btw!

A couple of genetics questions.

1) I have done a little looking into the cushion comb genetics. Am I correct in understanding that two cushion combed parents will not always produce a cushion combed offspring?

2) These wattles aren't present on my other females. Is there a connection between the wattles and the non-cushion comb? Or, just coincidence?

Thanks,
Tim

A cushion comb is Pea + Rose + Smooth (a modifying gene). Pea and Rose are both dominant, so there can be recessive genes hidden in a cushion comb, but it can also be bred out.

Both my PC parents must have a recessive something that they are passing on. Not really surprising that they both have a recessive since my parents are probably either siblings or half-siblings. Mildly unlucky, but not a real big deal.

I did not get any real answer about the wattles.

Last edited:
TimG,

Pea comb greatly reduces wattle size. If a Chantecler (or any breed with pea comb) is homozygous for pea, the wattles will be much smaller than if the bird lacked pea or was only heterozygous.

Ryan

My Partridge Chants.

SAM_0475.jpg

SAM_0467.jpg

SAM_0491.jpg

SAM_0472.jpg

100_3086.jpg

100_2903.jpg

100_2719-1.jpg

I can hear the chicks hatching in the incubator as I type, looking forward to having a look tomorrow!

Hmmm......I posted these from photobucket, I am not sure why they are not showing.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom