Charles County, MD

mbchicks5

Hatching
6 Years
Mar 12, 2013
Does anyone know the requirements for backyard chickens in Waldorf, MD? I looked at an older thread and have searched the zoning ordinances without much luck. I am trying to find out if I can have chickens and how many?

Hi All,

I'm in Charles county near Dentsville. I can't get the link to work. Just want to verify the chicken per half acre rule. I'm brand new to the site. I babysat some chickens this month and have decided I'm ready for my own!

Beth

Sorry. Looks like they removed the page. I'll have to see if I can find it again. Or you could call Charles county zoning and ask the,

Hi Sunny,

Thank you! Who would I call? Google search was frustrating. I'm on over three acres, no homeowners association. I think we're zoned agricultural conservation. I'd hate to talk to the wrong person and get a no for an answer.

Beth

I'd call the zoning department and then ask for whoever deals with agricultural conservation.

On three acres, you are limited to 6 birds if the rule still stands.

I am interested in knowing the same thing :)
We have a neighbor who has about 25 chickens and he told me there is no regulations. Another neighbor told me different... I hope to find a straight answer soon!

I've called around before and no one could give me an answer. Even if there is a law, I garuntee it isn't enforced, because no one has the answer. I think it only becomes a problem when you have neighbors and a rooster. If I remember correctly, I was told I could have 2 birds and I have about 0.5 acres in the Carrington Neighborhood.

This is the information everyone is looking for. It is current as of the day I am posting this:

Charles County Code
Chapter 297: Zoning Regulations
Article XIII: Minimum Standards for Special Exceptions and Uses Permitted With Conditions
§ 297-212 Uses corresponding with Table of Permissible Uses
http://www.ecode360.com/27246896?highlight=poultry#27246896

1.01.310 Horses, livestock maintained as pets and 4-H or school projects on less than or equal to five acres. This use is permitted with conditions in all zones, provided that the following requirements are met:
[Amended 12-7-1993 by Ord. No. 93-100; 11-21-1994 by Ord. No. 94-100]

A. The keeping of horses and other large livestock such as cattle, swine, goats and sheep in any residential zone shall be permitted on lots or parcels of two acres or more with a minimum of one acre per animal.

B. Small livestock, such as poultry and rabbits, shall be permitted, provided that the ratio of animals to acreage set forth in the following schedule is met and the animals must be maintained in a humane, secure and sanitary fashion so as not to create a detriment or nuisance to the public:

Acreage
Number of Animals
(per acre)

Less than 2 acres
2 adult animals

Greater than 2 acres
4 adult animals

This is the information everyone is looking for. It is current as of the day I am posting this:

Charles County Code
Chapter 297: Zoning Regulations
Article XIII: Minimum Standards for Special Exceptions and Uses Permitted With Conditions
§ 297-212 Uses corresponding with Table of Permissible Uses
http://www.ecode360.com/27246896?highlight=poultry#27246896

1.01.310 Horses, livestock maintained as pets and 4-H or school projects on less than or equal to five acres. This use is permitted with conditions in all zones, provided that the following requirements are met:
[Amended 12-7-1993 by Ord. No. 93-100; 11-21-1994 by Ord. No. 94-100]

A. The keeping of horses and other large livestock such as cattle, swine, goats and sheep in any residential zone shall be permitted on lots or parcels of two acres or more with a minimum of one acre per animal.

B. Small livestock, such as poultry and rabbits, shall be permitted, provided that the ratio of animals to acreage set forth in the following schedule is met and the animals must be maintained in a humane, secure and sanitary fashion so as not to create a detriment or nuisance to the public:

Acreage
Number of Animals
(per acre)

Less than 2 acres
2 adult animals

Greater than 2 acres
4 adult animals

Back
Top Bottom