Charleston we have a Broody here!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by WannaBeHillBilly, Jul 19, 2019.

1. WannaBeHillBilly

WannaBeHillBilly Crossing the Road

Sep 2, 2018
    Big Chimney, WV
    My Coop
    Absolutely correct! - I snuck into the duck house just after dusk, Katharina was having a snack of cracked-corn on the work platform aaand - she saw me…
    Next thing i remember was wings flapping, a pair of pliers squeezing down on my right ear, feathers everywhere and my shoulders being »massaged« with a wire brush… :sick
    What a dedicated momma! - Of course i was just wearing my shorts! Now my ear is blue and my back is full of scratches.
    All ducks were yelling at me when i got out of the duck house, i felt soo bad! :oops:

2. Texag87

Texag87 Crowing

Sep 22, 2018
    Aggieland
    :lau:lau:lau

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Wrangler

I told you !! Next time you’ll listen ;) So did you get to candle? :lol:

4. WannaBeHillBilly

Sep 2, 2018
    Big Chimney, WV
    My Coop
    Peep, peep, peep!
    Today during the weekly duck house cleanup I noticed that Katharina did not covered her nest when she went outside. Curiously I took a close look and to my horror I then saw what looked like cracks in two eggs.:eek:
    I picked up one of the eggs and 》peep, peep, peeps《 :celebrate
    Not a crack, an external pip!:jumpy
    Exciting weekend...

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Wrangler

Oh boy that’s exciting!! Looking forward to updates!!

6. Trimurtisan

Trimurtisan Team flappy foot

May 22, 2019
    A cypress swamp in FL
    It's a peep party!
    :jumpy:ya:jumpy

7. WannaBeHillBilly

Sep 2, 2018
    Big Chimney, WV
    My Coop
    Made some hasty preparations in the duck-house!
    What did our parent's do in the past when the whole family came visiting? - They turned the living room into a make-shift camping area for the kids:
    [​IMG]
    I have brought one of my fence-gates into the house and with a little TLC if fits between the master- and the kid's bedroom:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    I haven't installed it for this night, i doubt the 'lings will hatch overnight.
    And i placed the empty one gallon waterer inside the master-bedroom so that Katharina gets used to its sight and isn't scared. And there she is, sitting on her peeps:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
  8. WannaBeHillBilly

Sep 2, 2018
    Big Chimney, WV
    My Coop
    And of course there is a big party going on in the modified living room everybody is eating and drinking and squacking…
    20190810_224501.jpg
    All while Katharina has her privacy (in the box at the left): 20190810_224555.jpg

9. WannaBeHillBilly

Sep 2, 2018
    Big Chimney, WV
    My Coop
    And boy was i wrong!
    Let me present you the proud Mama Katharina and her first duckling, sitting right in front of her:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Nona is a great Aunt-Duck! She was helping Katharina this morning keeping the other ducks away from the little one. I filled Water in the 1 Gallon dispenser and brought some meal-worms to Mama and Aunt Nona and closed the gate between the two bedrooms:
    [​IMG]
    Right now i am reviewing the video, recorded by the DuckyCam overnight, already found some interesting things going on, a scare at 2:30am, probable hatch at 3:20am and a sneaky Aunty at 3:30am…
    The DuckyCam is still rolling, i will cut and upload the video from tonight later, so stay tuned…

10. WannaBeHillBilly

Sep 2, 2018
    Big Chimney, WV
    My Coop
    Correction: Two ducklings have hatched tonight
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: