Chat N Chicknfun Thread

Aww, and you helped birth all kinds of new, colorful, fluffy life in him too!!
highfive.gif

oh chirp picture jack mccoy, gruff old heavy set farmer type. drinking black coffee watching cnn grumbling.. with the brooding box right next to his recliner.. he used to lean over and stroke them, look at them and mutter. lol then stroke them more and continue with his coffee.. he did it for hours every morning. if he was on the phone talking he would walk past the box and stop to stroke a few.

Aww, and you helped birth all kinds of new, colorful, fluffy life in him too!! :highfive:

oh chirp picture  jack mccoy, gruff old heavy set farmer type. drinking black coffee watching cnn grumbling.. with the brooding box right next to his recliner.. he used to lean over and stroke them, look at them and mutter. lol then stroke them more and continue with his coffee.. he did it for hours every morning. if he was on the phone talking he would walk past the box and stop to stroke a few.
....heeheethat's EXACTLY how I picture him....:lau He sounds like a cool fellow!

....heeheethat's EXACTLY how I picture him....
lau.gif
He sounds like a cool fellow!

he is a charector to be sure. takes it hard when chicks dont make it or eggs dont hatch but isnt afraid to cull and keeps a huge garden he is 67-68 now. the first ee roo he got he named joker.. cause he was orange just like the jokers hair.. used stroke him and such.. lost joker after 2 days. and man he called me he was beside himself and upset.right now his faves are bunnie aka dust bunny, the slut but i think he will end up calling her mary infront of the kids (has a bright red beak tip) indian/squa cause she had a orange face as a chick. and blue boy the roo that had a blueish grey cap. they are out of the brooder now and feathering up.. he goes out and randomly grabs them and pets them. pulls weeds in the garden or over ripe stuff and tosses it in the run. his little jaunts keep him active

....heeheethat's EXACTLY how I picture him....:lau He sounds like a cool fellow!

he is a charector to be sure. takes it hard when chicks dont make it or eggs dont hatch but isnt afraid to cull and keeps a huge garden he is 67-68 now. the first ee roo he got he named joker.. cause he was orange just like the jokers hair.. used stroke him and such.. lost joker after 2 days. and man he called me he was beside himself and upset.right now his faves are bunnie aka dust bunny, the slut but i think he will end up calling her mary infront of the kids (has a bright red beak tip)  indian/squa cause she had a orange face as a chick. and blue boy the roo that had a blueish grey cap. they are out of the brooder now and feathering up.. he goes out and randomly grabs them and pets them. pulls weeds in the garden or over ripe stuff and tosses it in the run. his little jaunts keep him active

You know, my Dad, was a hard fella', I mean hardened! Could never tell any of us kids, "I Love You", but you let a stray dog, cat, coon, any kinda critter, or any of the Grandbabies within reach/sight, he was mushy/gushy, I Love You, etc.

Kinda reminds me of the song, "Old dogs and children, and watermelon wine/rind." That was him, loved critters and young children. Just would tell us kids, You know I do, when question about love. Passed away this Easter. He had a hard life/upbringing, gave me his love for critters, except coons! haha :lau

You people are cheering me up again. Dave and I are both retired. He has always had what I thought as a coldness toward farm animals and dogs n such. If someting had to be put down he calmly did it and never seemed to be bothered. Last year he named a turkin chick Fluffy. This year he has tamed all the cochin babies to allow him to pick them up at will and talks to them all the time. I am now convinced that men change when they no longer have to worry about being the bread winner. I like the change. Here is to older men cause they are better men.
old.gif

You people are cheering me up again. Dave and I are both retired. He has always had what I thought as a coldness toward farm animals and dogs n such. If someting had to be put down he calmly did it and never seemed to be bothered. Last year he named a turkin chick Fluffy. This year he has tamed all the cochin babies to allow him to pick them up at will and talks to them all the time. I am now convinced that men change when they no longer have to worry about being the bread winner. I like the change. Here is to older men cause they are better men.
old.gif
Here, Here......and cheer's to the women who loved them through it!!! :weee

Last edited:
yep i been MIA for a bit, getting the house together and packing.. for the big journey to MN... that and my daughter turned 5 on the 22nd so i was in recovery from the huge denver zoo. as for chickens, i like personality and lovey ones, color really doesnt matter.. but i do love a colorful egg basket. so i have EE's and dad has seemed to change his mind and like them cause he can grab them and handle them with out much complaint from the hen.. and some like it.. he has been trying to decide on the great cull if he will nix the buffs or the rir. I started a bout of chicken jealousy you see. and while i asked permission to get my 5 ladies and one roo... my brother just dropped some off when dad wasnt home (mostly roos). so he prompted the great cull. next year when we cull my idiot brothers roos, ill look into getting some hatching eggs i really would love marans. but im looking for big dark eggs. also looking into the adventure with dad of candleing and seeing my daughter witness her first hatch. he still loves his little gimp bird that is social with him. and has taken a real liking to the chicks i sent him.
gig.gif
that old gruff man named them and socializes with him.. the grumpy old no pets only animals with a purpose.. mom and i still chuckle about him stroking the little chicks and loving the Weird eggs from the 2 EEs he already had. i guess it brings life to his daily jaunt about the yard.. its his retirement jaunt.
Going out on a Limb here...but does MIA stand for "Mother In Action"
lol.png
hu.gif
????
If you got MARANS ( l love Marans ) you could cross them with your EE's and you would have Olive Eggers. But if your had Araucana's that would work better!!!

Last edited:
Going out on a Limb here...but does MIA stand for "Mother In Action"
lol.png
hu.gif
????
If you got MARANS ( l love Marans ) you could cross them with your EE's and you would have Olive Eggers. But if your had Araucana's that would work better!!!

nope i dont have marans only ee chicks and a ee roo and dealing with some things that came from chicken jealousy
big_smile.png
ie too many chickens and not what dad wants. he agreed to do a hatch out so im currently on here praying some one will come forward around easter with maran hatching eggs.. i would certainly trade some fertile mutt eggs just for giggles. funny you say you want a olive egger.. dad has a hen tamed that lays a olive egg. PLEASE throw it out there that we would love to trade for maran hatching eggs. my 5 yr old would love to watch a pip this easter.... mia yeah mother in action/missing in action... sounds about right

Red wine does not go well with coffee :p

I thought I had picked up my coffee cup from yesterday, and poured in coffee, took a sip, and realizes that it was the mug that I used for my red wine :rolleyes:

It could be worse. I once picked up what I thought was my dad's coffee cup, that had left over coffee from the day before, and I added fresh coffee, and a little cream, and served it to him. He is happy with old stale coffee. It took him a while to figure out what was wrong...at first he thought that the cream was a bit sour. He finally realized that it was a coffee cup full of the Madeira that my mom hadn't finished last night, with fresh coffee and some cream. :D Being a very good father, he drank it all up, but said that that was not a breakfast drink he wished to repeat.

Other exciting news on the Alaskan front......

I opened my front door to see a Black Bear at my turkey coop. I have no idea what he was up to. He opened the door, went inside, went back outside, and then stood at the back of the coop looking into the coop (the bottom of the coop walls are solid, the top three or four feet are open).

I have no idea what he was doing. It didn't look like he ate the turkey food, and it doesn't look like he touched my turkeys.

So....... I put a much better lock on the coop door.

And I couldn't find the blasted gun anywhere!!!!! All we had by the font door were all of the pellet guns and BB guns. It was SO frustrating.

Back
Top Bottom