Chat room for non religious poultry keepers! :D

Pics
Question… I recently got some quail hens, was wondering if i could use potting soil for a dust bath, but i saw somewhere the little white (fertilizer?) balls are bad for them. can i sift them out or should i not use any soil that had it in there
If potting soil is because you have it on hand, you may as well try. But if you're shopping for it, get sand instead.

Hey guys! What's everyone's favorite breed of chicken?
I personally like:
Black copper marans
Barred rocks
Buff orpingtons
Speckled Sussexes
Jersey giants
And basically every chicken breed (except silkies and naked necks)
I would love to get a frizzle one day. Maybe even a bantam buff laced frizzle polish.

Dorkings. I just love them. They're so sweet, docile, cuddly, such lovable lugs. And they're beautiful, too! :love

Callette and Elda 3-7-17.jpg
Dorking twins.jpg

I'm also quite fond of Old English Game bantams and Cochin bantams. :love

And naked necks, though I only have the one so far. :D

Gwenyth fab.jpg

Hey guys! What's everyone's favorite breed of chicken?
I personally like:
Black copper marans
Barred rocks
Buff orpingtons
Speckled Sussexes
Jersey giants
And basically every chicken breed (except silkies and naked necks)
I would love to get a frizzle one day. Maybe even a bantam buff laced frizzle polish.
I only have two breeds, but I love them both:

Barred Rocks and Buff Orps!

20230121_133521.jpg
20230112_111920.jpg
20230105_110230.jpg
20230105_110421.jpg
20230105_110320.jpg

My parents wouldn't let me get a naked neck because they're so ugly

Where some see ugly, I see interesting, intriguing, funny, charming, adorable, full of character, just awesomely unique. And that's not even considering what a great temperament mine has. :love

Gwenyth.jpg
Gwenyth eyes.jpg
both 2.jpg
nn bantam 1.jpg

I knew I liked them before, but after owning one I love them. Gwenyth, there, is my very first and currently only one, but definitely has left an impression on me! If I find room in my hatching schedule this year I want to hatch a few of her eggs crossed to one of my silkied Cochin bantams. :love

I knew I liked them before, but after owning one I love them. Gwenyth, there, is my very first and currently only one, but definitely has left an impression on me! If I find room in my hatching schedule this year I want to hatch a few of her eggs crossed to one of my silkied Cochin bantams. 

Silkied nakedneck cochin bantams would be so cute!

I agree! The eventual goal with that cross would be a silkied naked neck bantam without all of the Silkie traits like what Showgirls have (so no dark skin, no crest, no extra toes, etc.), so I'm not sure if I'll select for or against the feathered feet of the Cochin side over time, but they should be cute babies either way. 😁

Back
Top Bottom