Chat Thread for the New Crazy 24 hour Auction

I love my Ecos but I'm kinda gun-shy after my turner broke like it did. I'm now afraid it'll do it while it's full of eggs, which scares me.
How did it break? Have you fixed it? Or replaced it? I know the Brinsea I just bought says it has a 2 year warranty. I'm not sure what the turner on the eco looks like. I'll go check it out.

I feel like I'm brutal to my turners as I take the 'bator off and on. On one of the incubators, I was lifting up the lid to open it totally, to lock down the eggs and one of the little handles that you lift the top with, snapped. So, now I have to pinch it to lift it out. Feels like I will drop it every single time. When it snapped, the lid landed on one of the eggs and crushed a section of the egg. It was lockdown. I stuck a bit of tape on it, and put it back. It hatched.

Eggs are surpisingly hearty in some way, yet we still kill them - usually because we can't leave them be.....

How did it break?   Have you fixed it?  Or replaced it?  I know the Brinsea I just bought says it has a 2 year warranty.   I'm not sure what the turner on the eco looks like.  I'll go check it out.

I feel like I'm brutal to my turners as I take the 'bator off and on.  On one of the incubators, I was lifting up the lid to open it totally, to lock down the eggs and one of the little handles that you lift the top with, snapped.  So, now I have to pinch it to lift it out.  Feels like I will drop it every single time.  When it snapped, the lid landed on one of the eggs and crushed a section of the egg.  It was lockdown.  I stuck a bit of tape on it, and put it back.  It hatched.  

Eggs are surpisingly hearty in some way, yet we still kill them - usually because we can't leave them be.....

The little plastic arm that connects the cradle to the motor just snapped right in two. I did send it off to Brinsea to get it fixed but the service was awful and it took over a month.

What I don't like about that is it broke when the incubator was empty, so it wasn't overtaxed or anything. So if it did that it makes me worry that it'll just give out under a full load of eggs one day. And when it breaks there's nothing holding the incubator any longer so it just swings all the way around and upside down on the cradle. You can see why that would be a problem when it's full of eggs.

I have to confess that this morning, I ordered a Brinsea 20. I'd love to have my daughter's class hatch some eggs, and the 40 is just too big and bulky and more than they would need. The 20 is still more than they need, but much easier than the 40. I like them because of the humidity pump. They are almost idiot proof. Which I need, since I"m HORRIBLE at keeping humidity steady at lock down. I have forgotten to fill the resevoir a few times. So, that's why it's ALMOST idiot proof.
Just a word of caution in putting an incubator in a classroom. Many schools turn off, or turn way down/up depending on the climate, the HVAC on weekends to save money. Even the Brinsea has a hard time coping with some of the wide temperature swings that can take place. I would have some back-up eggs in an incubator at home ready to substitute at the last minute just in case.

Just a word of caution in putting an incubator in a classroom. Many schools turn off, or turn way down/up depending on the climate, the HVAC on weekends to save money. Even the Brinsea has a hard time coping with some of the wide temperature swings that can take place. I would have some back-up eggs in an incubator at home ready to substitute at the last minute just in case.
Very good advice! Thank you. Around here - southern CA, our temps just don't get very extreme around this time of the year. My daughter is in a special needs high school class. The kids would be ok if nothing hatched, but I"d make sure I set some eggs at the same time - just in case.

Our city went solar at most of the schools. It's fun, you can check out the efficiency of each school online. Since they put in the solar panels 85% of her school's power has been offset by solar.

@wvduckchick. Here they come! All eggs pipped.

:weee every egg is pipped? Fantastic!!

:fl

I have a friend that got the Ovation, but returned it, but then regretted returning it.  She said it was kind of bulky.  I never actually saw it.  

The Ovation seemed too much like my LG in set up.  I love the baskets in the 20 and 40 that allow me to skip the rails and just stagger the eggs.  That's how I get 63 eggs in instead of 40.  The Ovation has a normal turner that you set the eggs in to, unlike the cradle on the 20 and 40 that tips the entire incubator.  Plus, I was looking for something smaller than the 40, but bigger than the Eco.

Love my 20 Advance with pump too. The ovation is tempting though.

I'm putting my feelers out, though I'm not ready right now, I'm trying to find folks selling Black Copper Maran and Blue Ameraucana eggs, hopefully I'll be ready in a month or two.

@wvduckchick Looks like 87% hatch from what developed. One DIS after popping and the other looks turned around. I don't assist cause life on a farm is hard. I still have 2 in the dryer. Looks like there may be 2-3 porcelain? They were marked choc orp so my guess. They are cute chicks! By anyone's standards that's a great hatch from shipped eggs!

Back
Top Bottom