Chattanooga, TN (surrounding areas) CHICKEN LOVERS

Hi - we're brand new to the world of chickens, am glad to have found this resource. I'm interested in keeping 3-5 laying chickens in our backyard as a learning experience for our three children. Have found a local feed store, several other good resources online and at our local library here in Chattanooga. We haven't gotten any chicks yet, as I haven't decided on a coop. I'm leaning toward one with a walk-in run, but don't want anything super expensive as we get started.

Does anyone have any suggestions on local coop builders? I've seen some kits online, but based on the reviews they seem kind of flimsy. Comments? I've found tons of online plans which I"m game to try, but I would then also need too invest in the right tools if I were to DIY this. Have also tried craigslist, but haven't seen just the right thing yet.

Any insights would be appreciated!
Thanks.

Hi - we're brand new to the world of chickens, am glad to have found this resource. I'm interested in keeping 3-5 laying chickens in our backyard as a learning experience for our three children. Have found a local feed store, several other good resources online and at our local library here in Chattanooga. We haven't gotten any chicks yet, as I haven't decided on a coop. I'm leaning toward one with a walk-in run, but don't want anything super expensive as we get started.

Does anyone have any suggestions on local coop builders? I've seen some kits online, but based on the reviews they seem kind of flimsy. Comments? I've found tons of online plans which I"m game to try, but I would then also need too invest in the right tools if I were to DIY this. Have also tried craigslist, but haven't seen just the right thing yet.

Any insights would be appreciated!
Thanks.
Welcome
welcome-byc.gif

Glad you've joined us.
Wish I could add input into coop plans, builders etc. but we built our ourselves. Ours are all walk in covered pens with, for lack of better words, shed like coops inside ea. pen with roost & nesting boxes, no fancy dollhouse type.
On one of my albums here you can see some older pics of when we started. We have made some modifications but you might get an idea of what I'm talking about.

Again, glad you've joined us and feel free to ask any & all questions.

Okay - I've got 3-5 (my daughter has 2 from my eggs she hatched) LF Cochin chicks left, that I'm 95% sure are boys (partridge & black.)

$3.00ea. of take all 5 for $10.00 -

They were hatched 4/7. I do still have them under heat lamp, at night, in a nursery pen outside but assuming our weather starts warming up & staying warm at night they should be good to go without the heat lamp.

I need to make room because I've just hatched another 30 (mostly bantam & but a few "very special" LF, they won't be going any where
droolin.gif
) hatch this weekend

I've also got a "false" lemon blue LF Cochin that is @ 6-8 weeks olds (would need to look at my notebook). He has been out in one of the coops for 2 weeks now, so no need for heat lamp. I saved him out of an early hatch because I knew he was colored differently. I would love to keep him but he just want fit into my breeding plans. He's already a real pretty fat fluffy, lots of leg & toe feathers etc. I would like to get at least $5.00 for him.

I'll try an get some pics after the rain
barnie.gif

Holler if you want them

Not mine...yet.
gig.gif

I do know of a guy in AL that has them. I am to the point of driving to pick up a trio, if I can't get some eggs. If I do, I will gladly share.

frow.gif
don't know if anyone has posted it or not but there is a show in Newport this Saturday. I think its called Something to Crow About and its at the fairgrounds. I went to the one last Fall and it is not a huge show but it was nice. Just thought I wold throw it out there in case anyone is interested.

I was born and raised in Rossville, GA. right over the state line!
I'm in Nashville now, but never will forget my roots.
Can I join your forum? You guys are awesome and I'm in the Chattanooga area quite a bit since most of my family still lives there.

I was born and raised in Rossville, GA. right over the state line!
I'm in Nashville now, but never will forget my roots.
Can I join your forum? You guys are awesome and I'm in the Chattanooga area quite a bit since most of my family still lives there.
Welcome!

Not mine...yet.
gig.gif
I do know of a guy in AL that has them. I am to the point of driving to pick up a trio, if I can't get some eggs. If I do, I will gladly share.
I sure would like to entertain the idea of raising some of these. I am in Al. Can you help me out? Thank you

Back
Top Bottom