chck with intestines or something hanging out

max101

Songster
10 Years
Mar 16, 2009
newcastle Australia
First time using an incubator
I have a chick I think maybe an Plymouth
He hatched fine in the incubator, I took him out and noticed he has blood over him and a lot of bloody mess coming from the umbilical area.
I put him back in the incubator and left him for 24 hrs. Well it is drier now but still there.
I have him in a box with a heat bag as I cant put him in the brooder as the other chicks would probably attack him.
He is now 2 days old and the large mass from his umbilical area is drier still but it is attached firmly. I think it is his insides, I think I am positive it is
Does he have any chance of survival???. There is no way he will suck this back in his body as some of it is hard due to the air drying it out.
He has eaten a bit and has been drinking water.
He walks fine with this load.
Thanks

It died this morning.
I think it is for the best Since he was drinking I dont believe he was in pain.

Thank you for inquiring it is most appreciated

When this happens it is because of an incubation problem: heat/humidity etc.

It is best to cull any chicks who's navels don't heal properly (instestines outside the body) as they will die anyway.

sorry for your loss
hugs.gif
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif
Do you have wire as the bottom of your incubator? Sometimes they get snagged and it can harm them. If you buy the rubbermaid shelf liner you can put it on the bottom and then they don't come into contact with the wire.
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif
Here is a link to what I buy from amazon so you can see what I mean.
http://www.amazon.com/Duck-855145-N...9516/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1324921531&sr=8-2

So sorry.
hugs.gif
Last year we hatched a batch of chicks -- half under a hen, half in the incubator, if my memory doesn't fail me -- and several of them had this ailment. If I recall correctly, they all died.

Chicks tread in dangerous waters during the time they are very young, being so small and susceptible. So many die.

Back
Top Bottom