Cheap auto Waterer

HobbyChickener

Songster
12 Years
Jun 29, 2007
central KY
I was looking at chicken stuff the other day with a fellow addict. I made the comment that I want to install a autowaterer that can be attached to a drum or 5 gallon bucket. They have them at several hatcheries that are for sale. He commented that he had looked over them as well and decided that is was WAY cheaper!

It is simple to make and is about a 1/3 of the price. Hook everything up like you would before with all the piping but instead of the floats that are used or setting it to get air when it is low and pour more out, we just used a timer for a garden waterer. It took a little adjusting to not over run too much unless you want to set it to flush things out a little. If you can only get a timer that has a 5 minute minimum then just put a valve on it that isnt open all the way.

Works good and it is Frugal which is always a good thing!

Hobby

I wish I could picture what you are saying. I am such a visual person so I have no idea. We are planning our waterer and feeder for our coop. Decided on the PVC for the feeder but the waterer is still up in the air.

This sounds like a good idea for a large flock. The most important thing I did for my waterer was to make the part they drink from easily removable for cleaning. This means the main reason for the gravity fed wterer is to insure they are never out of water. I put a standard waterer in the run and as an indicator. When it's empty, it's time to clean all the waterers.

Always there. Always clean.

You can see the details on my web site.

Addicted

Imagine a 5 gallon bucket with a hole on the side at the bottom. This hole has a peice of pipe with a valve on it that would attach to a garden hose. A garden hose timer like you would purchase at Walmart is attached to that valve with a section of hose running out the other side to where your water bowl is located. When the timer goes off the valve is opened and water runs into the bowl. It takes a little fine tuning but works well. It is all gravity fed so what you use or where you set it will have to be high enough for the water to be able to flow. Then you are filling a bucket or barrel on the outside instead of a small waterer on the inside.

Back
Top Bottom