Cheaper Way

5Chickens

Songster
12 Years
Dec 13, 2007
What would be the cheapest way to build a shed. Maybe around 6x8?
Should I buy a pre-made shed or should I build one from scratch?

And, should I go with a metal shed or a wood shed?

for me the answer has to be another question.....

What is your time worth? Do you have the skill to build yourself?

If you have time and basic tools and skills, it will be cheaper to build yourself. If not it will be cheaper to buy.

But whatevery you do make sure you go bigger than you need, 'cuz we all know you will be wanting more chickens sooner than you think!

Quote:
couldn't have said it better
big_smile.png

Quote:
It might not be cheaper to build yourself. It cost us more to build our little chicken tractor than I could have bought already made. (I am not counting the really flimsy kit ones either) I was really surprised to find out how much materials are these days. Price out the materials first if you can. I do have to agree with Keara though, build it bigger than you need cuz you will want MORE!
lau.gif

Quote:
i made one.. probably cost me $400 but that was when wood prices soared.. i see its all back down now... OF COURSE. i tarped the roof because of it! i made one that looks like a shed kit at lowes for $1000; i put a better floor in it, put it on skids and blocks and added a window( havent put the vents in yet though but i have them) i foudn the plans online fo rFREE.. its a gambrel roof style, which was trickier than the blog showed but we didnt do tOO awful bad

this is where i got the plans.. i used plywood rather than actual siding board.. i used the most durable for the money at that time, adjust by your price range, where you liv and wood prices at the time

http://mystorageshed.blogspot.com/2007/05/blog-post.html

i didnt ajus the height but if you wanted all youd have to do is make the side walls taller! we did put in braces in between the roof structure pieces.. he doesnt do that in his plans.. ours were an after thought and it is sturdier

WOOD definately. Metal acts like an oven in the sun . I would also agree with building it bigger than you originally intend - or make it easy to build onto for later needs.

If your not good at building - 1.) look at prices on pre-fabricated shed kits - and take into account many of them you'll have to add windows, ventilation, and interior designs such as roosts, poop boards, pop door, etc... so take into account the end average of money...Then 2.) contact a local carpenter with your dimensions and needs (example : 4 small upper vents for winter, 2 windows, human door, small chicken door, and tell them its for chickens - so you'll want them to add nest boxes) get an estimate from 1-3 carpenters. COMPARE these prices. - who's more affordable and usually carpenters will build you a better quality building for your buck and save you headache of putting it up, and adding the extras...

OR of course cruise Craigslist and check it out - I recently had found quite a few people who had were selling sheds on craigslist around here - too bad i didn't find these when I needed one - lol.

I am working on plans for a 6x8 right now. Rough estimates for just the lumber are in the $600 range for a 6x8 on a 4x4 skid foundation, 2x4 framing (2' on center), shed roof (no shingles, I have those!), T1-11 siding. This does not include fasteners, hardware, door, windows. If you have to buy all the other non-lumber stuff it could be a grand. I think I could buy one just as cheap, but if I build it then it will be new and just the way I want it. I was given a nice 100 year old farm door and 2 leaded glass windows that are just as old. These will make some nice looking additions to my coup and it should really stand out.

Back
Top Bottom