Cheapskate Rant

GardenWeasel

Songster
10 Years
Feb 23, 2009
Henry, TN
Sorry guys need to vent and perhaps a little help with my perspective/ attitude. Just finished making my new egg price sign with bitter grumbles at reducing to $1.25. I am almost ready to seperate my girls and feed the ones I sell cheap crap and feed my egg girls the way I know they should eat with their Layena, whole grain treats and all the other special, some what expensive goodies. Am I wrong to feel like this? The people here don't care about the nutritional value of my specially produced eggs. I can hardly bear to put out that sign. I am in such a bad mood over this. Anyone have any sage advice? There are people around me that sell for $1. Maybe I need to find a way not to let it upset me, I need the income to feed them but would almost rather donate them.

Instead of changing the price on the sign, you could change it to say "Eggs from optimally fed chickens" or something like that. Your price would then be justified and people would buy your eggs.

I am getting $1.25 a dozen if they bring their own carton or it is $1.50 a dozen. Of course all my regulars know that I will be raising my prices next year. My girls started laying the end of August and wanted their eggs to level out a little in size before I raise my price.

We get $3 per dozen, but they are delivered. But yes, the people we sell them to SAY they care about the health benifits, but then they turn around and say things that would indicate otherwise, so we're left thinking
hu.gif

An example: A guy who does weight-training and protein shakes said he wanted some of our eggs because it was known in that field that fresh eggs like ours are superior. We told him we weren't getting many at that time, and it amy take a while to get a good dozen, so when we finally did, he told us he gave them to his dad. What????? He then didn't reorder for a month. I don't get it. They all rave about them, but nobody's beating our door down.

Last edited:
If you don't have a local market that's interested in your quality of eggs, would it be reasonable for you to market them in a neighboring larger town? I looked up your location and unfortunately, it looks like you're in the middle of a large (I'm assuming sparsely populated) rural area. If you haven't already, maybe post an ad in Craigslist and state the benefits of your eggs.

Beth

We couldn't sell our eggs anywhere close to home. People would argue with us that $1.50 was too much.
We kept hearing about how much eggs were going for in the next county ( larger populated area ), and we "begged" the local farmers' market to allow us to join mid season.
We now get $3.00 per dozen. The best thing is we were able to develope customers that call us even after the market season has closed.
jumpy.gif

It is all about location and what the people around you are doing.

In my area there are lots of "hobbyists" you are raising birds for their own pleasure, showing or therapy. They do not need to make a profit selling eggs, but they do get more eggs than they can use and are happy for a little cash to off-set their expenses. With many "hobbyists" selling eggs for $1/dz, it would be difficult for me to sell them for anything else unless I found a way to REALLY differentiate my eggs from other farm-fresh eggs from the neighbor. The consumer would have to be educated about WHY my eggs were better than the "hobbyist" down the road.

Frankly I cannot do it. I see my neighbor's chickens running around and know they are pretty decently cared for and fed. There really isn't a huge difference, nothing that culd command a difference in price.

I am able to sell a few dozen for $1.50/dz at my work place, as the convenience of hand delivery is worth 50 cents to the customer.

Knowing my area has this kind of market, I know I need to keep my flock small enough to not depress the price further by needing to sell them at below $1/dz in order to get rid of them.

I don't know what your area is like. You are wondering if people care about their health and the affects of what they eat. With the economy the way it is, many have to consider their food budget first, unfortunately.

What the kids are looking into now is the "hens in town" movement. Some local towns allow keeping of a few hens, but many of those folks do not want to raise them from chicks. My boys really like that part though
wink.png
So we are doing research before we jump off the deep end to see if we can get some orders for ready-to-lay pullets this coming fall, then the boys can raise those birds this summer.

Sound like a plan? However, if there is no market for hens, we simply won't hatch/buy the chicks, as we need to keep our flock size in order.
hmm.png

I get $2 per dozen for ones I bring to my work. A neighbor takes some of my eggs to her work and we get $2.50 for those. I have regular customers that know my birds are happy and healthy. I guess I'm lucky because I have never needed a sign. One customer has a SO that is a vegan and used to not let him bring eggs homes because of the horrors of factory farming. Now that he can buy from me, he can once again enjoy a good egg. After all, they are just useful by products of beloved pets with no overcrowding or cruelty involved.

Back
Top Bottom