Check it out

Hi and welcome to BYC :frow We're so happy you've decided to join us :ya

We have a contest going on right now just for new folks like you. In order to enter you'll need to copy the link from your first post in this thread and post it in the contest thread.

To copy your link address, right click on the link to your thread and click copy or copy link
2019-02-09_16-09-54-jpg.1671012
then click on the following URL
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...t-new-byc-members-win-a-byc-calendar.1287752/
Go down to where it says "write your reply..." tell us this is your entry and then click on the link button
2019-02-09_16-13-22-jpg.1671016

Paste your URL into the box and click "insert", then click "Post Reply".
2019-02-09_16-14-09-jpg.1671019

That's all there is to it. Once you've finished this, you're eligible to win a nice BYC Calendar.

A sad story
IMG20190221171836.jpg
IMG20190221171842.jpg
IMG20190221172350.jpg
IMG20190221172524.jpg
IMG20190221172533.jpg
IMG20190222004706.jpg
Weeks ago, I encountered this clutch of eggs in the wilderness as I was wandering around my house.At first I thought the hen was probably away foraging food and would return in no time. I felt eggs with my hands and they were pretty warm. But later I realized that they got this temperature from the scorching sun. I cracked open a random egg, finding it rancid and unfertilized.However, several dead embryos began to emerge as I was throwing the rest onto the ground.It seemed that their mom had abandoned them during incubation.To my confusion, these eggs could have hatched if the hen had sat on them for several extra days according to the embryonic development. Why would a loving broody hen give up her babies so cruelly regardless of her previous efforts? Soon I figured out the reason from lots of scattered and faded feathers left outside the nest. The hen might have been killed by some predator while she was attentively incubating eggs and unaware of the approaching danger.The predator could well be a feral cat since cats aren't interested in unbroken eggs while other predators eat whatever they find edible.
What a tragedy!Mama hen, along with its unborn babies was murdered in such a ruthless way. Among these 11 eggs, there were 8 almost fully-developed chicks inside.:hitMisfortune never comes singly. This is not the 1st time my broody hen that hatches eggs in the wild ever gets murdered or disappears for no reason.Just imagine that there's a serial killer prowling around your house when it's all dark and serene, looking for innocent mothers-to-be it's addicted to like drug,biting off their necks without mercy and leaving a bunch of unborn babies wanting the warmth of their mom to die helplessly right there on purpose… :mad::barnie:(:mad:

Why not provide safe places for the broody girls to hatch their eggs?
Well,I actually have made lots of laying boxes for them in a chicken pen next to myhouse.But my hens are exceedingly wild and not trusting. They perch on the tallest branches of mango trees at night and are very hard to catch. When it comes to laying eggs and hatching, it's the same thing. They probably find artificial nests not safe enough to keep their eggs,so they make the best of their instincts to make nests on their own where they think no one else can find their eggs like junglefowls.Here'se pics of their nests,usually quite hard to find if you don't go through where they cackle thoroughly.
img20190211205441-jpg.1699460
img20190211205340-jpg.1699477
I almost missed this clutch as I was walking by, since it was almost invisible seen from down below.Yet one egg had tumbled out of the nest and hinted me there might be a nest nearby.
img20190221174804-jpg.1699478

Back
Top Bottom