Check Out My New Button Quail Pen!

Quote:
I did not mean that a plastic tub would be ideal. I don't believe it would be. It is why I won't use one, except for brand new chicks. However, at least it would have more space. That really is a tiny amount of space. Do you go to school? If so, will he be in that tiny cage while you are away at school all day? What about the times when you will need to be away from home for some reason? He will not have much space for exercise.

Again, I would urge you to figure out a way that he will have more space.

I understand that you think that because he is out during the day (at least when you are home) that this is adequate space. It is not, however. It would be like leaving my yellow lab locked up in my bathroom for 8-10 hours at a time, or one of my cats locked up in a kitchen cupboard. Those are similar space amounts for the size of animal.

When keeping an animal in captivity, it is our duty to provide for their needs. Those needs include adequate space. I know you are young and this may be the best you have right now. Just try to do more when you can. I can tell by your posts that you do care about your animals and want the best for them.

I Home School and am home 24/7.
smile.png

If we ever went away for a few days I would put him in a larger pen, but for now he is just fine where he is. I repeate, the only time he is in his cage is at night!
He is my personal pet and lives in my room, he will have a girl friend in a few weeks and he will be moved to a bigger pen. But the reason I tamed him is because I wanted to have him as a pet. Please try to understand that he is hardly ever in his cage. He runs around my room most of the day.

Rozzie, Button quail are not as tame as other quail...I have them in breeding cages, a pair for each cage...they don't need much space to be happy. They jump up when startled so the lower the top the better for the quail, as they can boink and die..

Mrs Fluff is doing a great job with her buttons. I would have said something if she wasn't
smile.png

These are some of my breeder cages:

48510_website_031.jpg

That cage is cute. Do watch for ventilation though. If the sawdust gets wet from the water add some poo and you can have big ventilation issues. Glad you are keeping them seperated by pairs. that's the way they like it
smile.png

Quote:
There you go, definitely different philosophies. Button quail are MONOGAMOUS birds. I have my birds housed in pairs because that. So the cage set ups work for what I do. I strive for purer colors, no colony breeding.

NC29mom: Yes - he is allowed to poo on my floor, afterwards I get a towel and wipe it up. If it was a chicken that would be a problem, but this is a tiny button and there isn't much poo at all!
I have to agree with quailladyoffortmyers, Buttons preferr to be housed in pairs. I do not think you should have more then 2-3 buttons in the same cage.
smile.png

Here is a cage my mom and I made yesterday afternoon! It took us all afternoon to make it, but man was it worth it!
thumbsup.gif
big_smile.png

It is the perfect cage! We have 2 other dog cages that we're going to fix up like this one.
big_smile.png
We sewed the screwn wire on to the cage with waxed thread used for leather sewing. Let me know what you think!
big_smile.png

47807_quail_pens_101_2.jpg

47807_quail_pens_101_3.jpg

47807_quail_pens_101_4.jpg

47807_quail_pens_101_5.jpg

47807_quail_pens_101_9.jpg

47807_quail_pens_101_7.jpg

47807_quail_pens_101_8.jpg

47807_quail_pens_101_10.jpg

47807_quail_pens_101_11.jpg

47807_quail_pens_101_12.jpg

47807_quail_pens_101.jpg