Check out this Zucchini Casserole

Dragonfly Ranch

Songster
10 Years
May 13, 2009
Happy Valley, CA
At this time of year always looking for recipes that uses things out of the garden. We tried this one last night and on our scale of 1-10 we rated an 8 - but was still really good. Next time (and I will make again) I'll add some more fresh basil and a tad more oregano.
Also, would be excellent with some chicken either boiled or even better smoked - YUM

Happy cooking
Sandee

Zucchini Herb Casserole
Rated: 4 3/4 Stars by 222 members

Submitted By: DebiMcG
Photo By: KAITCH
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 40 Minutes Ready In: 55 Minutes
Servings: 6

"Celebrate summer with this quick casserole made with zucchini, herbs, cheese, and rice."
Ingredients:
1/3 cup uncooked long grain white rice
2/3 cup water
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 1/2 pounds zucchini, cubed
1 cup sliced green onions
1 clove garlic, minced 1 1/4 teaspoons garlic salt
1/2 teaspoon basil
1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1 1/2 cups seeded, chopped tomatoes
2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese,
divided

Directions:
1. Combine the rice and water in a saucepan, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 20 minutes, until rice is tender.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a shallow 1 1/2 quart casserole dish.
3. Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat, and cook the zucchini, green onions, and garlic 5 minutes, or until tender. Season with garlic salt, basil, paprika, and oregano. Mix in the cooked rice, tomatoes, and 1 cup cheese. Continue to cook and stir until heated through. Transfer to the prepared casserole dish. Top with remaining cheese.
4. Bake uncovered 20 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly.

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
00a9.png
2009 Allrecipes.com Printed from Allrecipes.com 7/2/2009

That does sound good.
Thanks for sharing. I'm always looking for new recipes to use the garden harvest, too.

prairiegirl

thanks so much tomorrow is cooking and baking day for the weekend. this will be on my to do list.
sounds delish and my pantry is on over stock.
so I have to get busy.

Quote:
I think it would be fine without the rice - maybe add some bread crumbs (1/8 cup maybe) to help tighten it up a bit or some chicken. Also, I used cherry tomatoes (since that what we have right now) and didn't bother with seeding them and it was just right.

BTW had it for leftover lunch today and it was still really good even being microwaved for 4 minutes to get hot.

Enjoy

Sandee

Quote:
Did you try it? What did you think? Hope you liked it since I'm trying to get a sense of what recipes people like on this site - since I love sharing. It's Friday so homemade pizza night with fresh basil and tomatoes from the garden - ooooo may be some thin sliced zucchini - ya think?

Sandee

I would love to try it.but, my hens found a nice large zucchini growing partly thru the fence and ate it before I found it. they stand in front of the fence just looking for what they can reach, so far its been mostly my tomato leaves, and some squash.and they have to stretch for those and an boy can they stretch those necks for a nice piece of green. marrie

Back
Top Bottom