Check your ducks feet!!

cnielsen

Songster
Aug 28, 2020
This is your formal reminder to check your ducks feet, even if they aren’t acting weird!!
All of my ducks were walking completely the same, no limping, no weird behavior, no lethargy.
I only discovered their bumblefoot upon seeing it while they were swimming.
This is pretty severe, and they weren’t even limping!! So please check all of your duckies feet. this is a dangerous infection.
(we’re speaking with vets on treating them)
01FB2A4F-5E94-4697-BF4A-813DE773D9C9.jpeg

4513BC63-A309-4DFF-B5B9-E756D7294DD8.jpeg

200DFFD8-8B7D-4972-BAB1-68626BBC9F9C.jpeg

B13608E0-AE2F-4D20-B504-C61F30FF066C.jpeg

This is your formal reminder to check your ducks feet, even if they aren’t acting weird!!
All of my ducks were walking completely the same, no limping, no weird behavior, no lethargy.
I only discovered their bumblefoot upon seeing it while they were swimming.
This is pretty severe, and they weren’t even limping!! So please check all of your duckies feet. this is a dangerous infection.
(we’re speaking with vets on treating them)
View attachment 2906681
View attachment 2906690
View attachment 2906692
View attachment 2906694
I actual just watched a vet show where a professional vet recommended cleaning and using honey on bubblefoot. She kept the bird on clean bedding in a pen while it was healing up for a week or two.

In the past, I've had success removing the scab and kernel along with any puss. I then fush the wound with clean water, pack it with triple antibiotic and wrap it with gauze and vet wrap.

I actual just watched a vet show where a professional vet recommended cleaning and using honey on bubblefoot. She kept the bird on clean bedding in a pen while it was healing up for a week or two.

In the past, I've had success removing the scab and kernel along with any puss. I then fush the wound with clean water, pack it with triple antibiotic and wrap it with gauze and vet wrap.
I’ve heard honey is great for infection! We are going to be doing 2 daily epson salt soaks and keep their feet bandaged and medicated along with some bedding to walk on in a small pen. We tried to remove the scab but it’s so large and stubborn it wouldn’t really budge. Hoping they heal well!

I’ve heard honey is great for infection! We are going to be doing 2 daily epson salt soaks and keep their feet bandaged and medicated along with some bedding to walk on in a small pen. We tried to remove the scab but it’s so large and stubborn it wouldn’t really budge. Hoping they heal well!
After soaking it may be easier to removing. The scab is often attached to the kernel, so it can be stubborn.
Just soaking and bandaging may not be enough if you don't remove the infection. Either removal or an antibiotic or both is likely necessary (IMO) with such a large bumblefoot infection.

After soaking it may be easier to removing. The scab is often attached to the kernel, so it can be stubborn.
Just soaking and bandaging may not be enough if you don't remove the infection. Either removal or an antibiotic or both is likely necessary (IMO) with such a large bumblefoot infection.
I agree completely. We don’t have any vets who treat poultry available in our area at the moment, but a family friend who is a vet told us just to soak and medicate for now.

Back
Top Bottom