1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Checking for fertility?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sussexgal, Oct 5, 2008.

1. sussexgal

sussexgal Chillin' With My Peeps

Good Morning,

I'm new to hatching and this is totally the wrong time of the year for hatching out chicks here in central NY, but that doesn't stop me from prerusing the sites that have hatching eggs for sale [​IMG] I've read a number of ads that say 'fertility tested' or 'checked for fertility'.... how does a person go about doing that? Are eggs cracked open and the yolks examined for the little donut shape? Or do folks actually hatch out a batch to see.... ?

Thank you

2. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    They candle the eggs after about 4-7 days, and if there's any veining or signs of life, they put them with the batch of fertile eggs to sell. If they aren't fertile, they don't sell them to people who want to hatch some out! [​IMG] So when you buy eggs from someone to hatch and they say that they have been tested for fertility, then the eggs are probably a few or more days old. [​IMG]

3. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I test mine by cracking open the eggs and checking for fertility. During the Spring, I also hatch the eggs to check for fertility. But most people crack open the eggs to check.

4. SundownWaterfowl

Quote:They dont do that. They can not incubate eggs for 4-7 days and then stop the incubation process and sell those eggs. The eggs that are sold are never incubated, and held for at most 3 days before shipping.

5. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Some people get others to incubate their eggs for them. As soon as you see veins, that's 'tested fertility'. They wouldn't vein if they weren't fertile.
    I currently have 2 dozen + 'testers' in my bator right now.

And FTR, I have no idea what 77 was talking about. When you buy hatching eggs, they aren't 'already started incubating'. They won't vein until they're sat on or popped into a bator. So chances are, however long it took the seller to collect the eggs and ship them, is all the 'older' the eggs are.

6. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    Quote:They dont do that. They can not incubate eggs for 4-7 days and then stop the incubation process and sell those eggs. The eggs that are sold are never incubated, and held for at most 3 days before shipping.

Oops! [​IMG] silly me. [​IMG]

But how could you sell the eggs if you cracked them open??? [​IMG] [​IMG] That makes no sense.... [​IMG]

7. SundownWaterfowl

Oops! [​IMG] silly me. [​IMG]

But how could you sell the eggs if you cracked them open??? [​IMG] [​IMG] That makes no sense.... [​IMG]

This is what they do. Before they sell eggs, they collect eggs to crack open and check the fertility. Then if the fertility is high, they collect eggs to sell.

8. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    Ohhh! OK, i get it. [​IMG] Thanks for explaining. [​IMG]

9. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Quote:Agreed. [​IMG]

Collect batch #1, crack open a few to look for 'bulls eyes'. Collect batch #2 for sale...

Or have someone incubate for you or incubate yourself. That's 100% no guess work.

10. SundownWaterfowl

Quote:Agreed. [​IMG]

Collect batch #1, crack open a few to look for 'bulls eyes'. Collect batch #2 for sale...

Or have someone incubate for you or incubate yourself. That's 100% no guess work.

In the spring I incubate, but in the fall/winter I crack the eggs open.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by