Checking-In On Peeps - Post Here To Say Hello!

Hello! CrazyCochin here!

I want to apologize for my MIA status. As time has gone by, and I’ve grown, making it through my first year of college for my AA, and got a part time job, I hate to say it, but I just let BYC go. I feel bad for doing this and all my friends here are still on my mind, because some of you are like family.

I still have all three of my “crazy” Banty Cochins, Bootsie, his kids, and a reduced size flock, since I haven’t brought in any new babies in the last two years.

Bootsie is about three years, and he’s developed into a good tempered Rooster. He’s darn handsome too.

My other special girl, my SS Riju, is still sassy and love her noodles. 😂

The last image is Kuroba, or simply called Blackie. He’s grown to be kind of a jerk so he has his own pen. His attitude is too big for his britches. He is the son of Bootsie, by a Dominate Copper Maran mother. He’s larger than Bootsie, giving into the Maran side.

IMG_0078.jpeg

IMG_0032.jpeg
IMG_0008.jpeg

Hello! CrazyCochin here!

I want to apologize for my MIA status. As time has gone by, and I’ve grown, making it through my first year of college for my AA, and got a part time job, I hate to say it, but I just let BYC go. I feel bad for doing this and all my friends here are still on my mind, because some of you are like family.

I still have all three of my “crazy” Banty Cochins, Bootsie, his kids, and a reduced size flock, since I haven’t brought in any new babies in the last two years.

Bootsie is about three years, and he’s developed into a good tempered Rooster. He’s darn handsome too.

The last image is Kuroba, or simply called Blackie. He’s grown to be kind of a jerk so he has his own pen. His attitude is too big for his britches. He is the son of Bootsie, by a Dominate Copper Maran mother. He’s larger than Bootsie, giving into the Maran side.

View attachment 3844183
View attachment 3844184View attachment 3844185
Blackie is a nice looking guy. It's a shame he has an attitude. Bootsie is gorgeous.

Thank you! Yeah, he didn’t get it from Boo Boo, that’s for sure. He’s just too nasty to be with any other Roosters. :( But, he’s okay. He gets his own bachelor pad with a safe, lockable shelter and a nice fenced run.

Here’s a little fun fact on Bootsie’s genetic line. Bootsie’s father (full Buff Brahma) Bo, has black and white tail feathers. Bootsie inherited those, and so did Blackie.

I'm still around. I started with six chickens, then added ten, and three have died (one ate tomato leaves and I don't know about the other two). I had two who went broody and once I understood how to correct that with a crate, it was over after two nights. Whew! And no roosters to deal with.

I notice that at night when they go roost, there is one girl who will spread a wing over the one beside her. Is that a mothering or dominance gesture?

Hello! CrazyCochin here!

View attachment 3844183
View attachment 3844184View attachment 3844185
They are awesome!

I'm still around. I started with six chickens, then added ten, and three have died (one ate tomato leaves and I don't know about the other two). I had two who went broody and once I understood how to correct that with a crate, it was over after two nights. Whew! And no roosters to deal with.

I notice that at night when they go roost, there is one girl who will spread a wing over the one beside her. Is that a mothering or dominance gesture?
It is good to see you!

I am sorry you lost some of the flock and good job on breaking the broody.

The wing on the roost could be a lot of things. It does sound cute though.

Hey, y'all!
Glad to have gotten a message to remind me to pop in. Life has been busy since we moved out of town and I'd joined here. Since then, I've graduated (homeschool) 4 kids, and three of those have gotten married. I've got one left in the schoolhouse, so to speak. I've got my garden up and running, and it's finally time to add the chicken coop! Early summer has hit us, so my time outside is limited to how much heat I can stand. Build beginning this week...

We have such a vibrant community here at BYC... tons of active friendly members. Of course, life gets busy, so I was thinking it would be fun to start a thread welcoming some of our peeps we haven't heard from in a while.

If that's you, come say hello and let us know what you've been up to. :)

(if that's not you, feel free to invite peeps you haven't seen in a while and say hi to those that post here)
Alright, so I have a weird one. Not concerning. Just odd. We have two 3.5 year old hatch mates. A barred rock and an easter egger. The rock acts as a sentry to the flock. There are 2 older and 2 younger girls - 6 total. Here’s what’s weird. The egger (who’s a tad heavier than she should be) likes to stick her head and as much of her upper body as she can under the rock (who is also overweight) just like a chick does with its mom. What gives?!? Like I said, not concerned, but it’s just really odd.

Back
Top Bottom