Checking-In On Peeps - Post Here To Say Hello!

Hey, y'all!
Glad to have gotten a message to remind me to pop in. Life has been busy since we moved out of town and I'd joined here. Since then, I've graduated (homeschool) 4 kids, and three of those have gotten married. I've got one left in the schoolhouse, so to speak. I've got my garden up and running, and it's finally time to add the chicken coop! Early summer has hit us, so my time outside is limited to how much heat I can stand. Build beginning this week...
Congratulations on the graduations, marriages, and all the changes in your life! Good luck with your coop build.

Alright, so I have a weird one. Not concerning. Just odd. We have two 3.5 year old hatch mates. A barred rock and an easter egger. The rock acts as a sentry to the flock. There are 2 older and 2 younger girls - 6 total. Here’s what’s weird. The egger (who’s a tad heavier than she should be) likes to stick her head and as much of her upper body as she can under the rock (who is also overweight) just like a chick does with its mom. What gives?!? Like I said, not concerned, but it’s just really odd.
Several of mine do this to the rooster and occasionally to one of the other hens. It's always amusing to see but I don't know why they do this.

Hola Gallos y Gallinas,
Hope all is well in your yards. I’ve been busy mostly with work but it’s slowed down for now but about to pick up again. My yard has been pretty quiet. I’ve acquired some different foundation fowl early this year (Leiper and Mel sim black) and have since made a couple cross breedings with the old lines and in the fall I will try and tighten up the “pure” lines. It’s in the triple digit temps here in S.Texas, evening lows in low 80s. I water the ground as much as possible and change out the drinking at the same time, don’t know how much it helps em but I’ll keep on doing it haven lost any to the heat yet. Suppose to be a hotter summer than last year, but they say that every year lol. I’m going to try and catch with what’s going on here. See if anything new in the gamefowl section. Keep em crowing

Hello all! We’ve definitely been busy, between having laying hens, we also raise beef cattle and are just finishing up calving season! We also purchased 50 meat bird chicks this spring!!

Hello! CrazyCochin here!

I want to apologize for my MIA status. As time has gone by, and I’ve grown, making it through my first year of college for my AA, and got a part time job, I hate to say it, but I just let BYC go. I feel bad for doing this and all my friends here are still on my mind, because some of you are like family.

I still have all three of my “crazy” Banty Cochins, Bootsie, his kids, and a reduced size flock, since I haven’t brought in any new babies in the last two years.

Bootsie is about three years, and he’s developed into a good tempered Rooster. He’s darn handsome too.

My other special girl, my SS Riju, is still sassy and love her noodles. 😂

The last image is Kuroba, or simply called Blackie. He’s grown to be kind of a jerk so he has his own pen. His attitude is too big for his britches. He is the son of Bootsie, by a Dominate Copper Maran mother. He’s larger than Bootsie, giving into the Maran side.

View attachment 3844183
View attachment 3844184View attachment 3844185
It's good to see you around again! :frow

@RoosterWhisperer, you should come over and post here too! :D

Hola Gallos y Gallinas,
Hope all is well in your yards. I’ve been busy mostly with work but it’s slowed down for now but about to pick up again. My yard has been pretty quiet. I’ve acquired some different foundation fowl early this year (Leiper and Mel sim black) and have since made a couple cross breedings with the old lines and in the fall I will try and tighten up the “pure” lines. It’s in the triple digit temps here in S.Texas, evening lows in low 80s. I water the ground as much as possible and change out the drinking at the same time, don’t know how much it helps em but I’ll keep on doing it haven lost any to the heat yet. Suppose to be a hotter summer than last year, but they say that every year lol. I’m going to try and catch with what’s going on here. See if anything new in the gamefowl section. Keep em crowing
Welcome back to our community! Those breeds sound lovely. Do you have any pictures of them?

Hello all! We’ve definitely been busy, between having laying hens, we also raise beef cattle and are just finishing up calving season! We also purchased 50 meat bird chicks this spring!!
Hello! Meat birds are always fun. Are you planning on butchering them yourself?

Attachments

• IMG_3045.jpeg
    IMG_3045.jpeg
    236.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3046.jpeg
    IMG_3046.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom