Chefs talk to me..... fried chicken.

No that wasn't geared towards you. It was obvious that you understood what was happening to my chicken.... I understand you post better now. So fried chicken, the right way is done slow. Did not know that. I think if I decide to do it deep fried I will just take the skin off because the triple battered crust was awesome. However I do want to try your method as I'm always looking for good ways to cook chicken!

My favorite fried chicken was from buff orpingtons and they were fried like you mentioned.

Thanks!

Quote:
Alla God's Chilluns love crust. Were I you (and I'm not, but I dare to presume), and dead-set on a triple-thick crust and the deep fryer, I'd bone and skin my thighs and breasts before deep-frying. Boning breasts and thighs is easy, and you've solved all the problems of rubbery skin and done-to-the-bone meat with two quick slices of the knife, plus added more fodder to your freezer-bag of stock-parts. Drumsticks take a bit more time and finesse to bone, but it can be done with practice (it's easiest if you leave the leg and thigh joined together while boning). Wings aren't worth it--but if you break them down into two pieces they cook quickly enough anyway. Including, usually, the skin.

The best fried chicken I've ever had that I didn't cook myself came from a pair of young barred-rock roosters my grandmother killed in her backyard on a Saturday morning in the 1950s and cooked on Sunday for my 10th birthday, in the same Griswold skillet I fry mine in today. Then as now, the sublime thing about the chicken (other than getting to help pluck and covering myself with blood and feathers like some refuge from Lord of the Flies) was the way the flour-and-milk crust and the chicken skin melded into one uniformly crispy entity. As my grandmother would say, if you laid a piece of it on your head, your tongue would slap your brains out trying to get it off.

Lots of good info guys!
pop.gif

This discussion has me wanting fried chicken so bad... I can just taste it!!
So, I've eaten all the chicken I've processed already, but I have some "store-bought" thawed, salted, and now drying in my fridge as I am at work....
Can hardly wait till this evening!! And then, I can hardly wait to process my home-grown and fry it!! I have avoided frying chicken because I was...well...
chicken!! Now I am going to do it.

Liz

That rustling sound you just heard was me running for the freezer in the garage for one of my freezer camp meaties. I know what we're having for dinner later this week! Thanks for the recipe, Ahab.

I followed the instructions here for fried chicken tonight and it was quite good. I've got to practice my technique a bit, but if I never make a better batch of fried chicken I've done OK. Thanks for the recipe, Ahab.

I've been off of BYC for a while, but had to post on this thread.

Here's my tip that makes for good fried chicken every time: Put your chicken in with a mixture of flour, cayenne pepper, paprika, salt, pepper, garlic powder. Enough seasonings to taste it, but not be overpowering. Let the flour mixture coat the chicken VERY LIBERALLY. You want a lot of it in there. I use a ziploc bag for this. Let it sit in your refrigerator for bare minimum...3 hours. Move the chicken around at least once of twice during this time to make sure all the pieces are well coated. You'll be amazed at how much sticks to the chicken skin. When it comes time to fry, make sure that oil is at least 325...350 or 375 would be better. Fry, baby, fry.

Back
Top Bottom