Chick’s Leg Injured

ChickenGirl555

Crowing
5 Years
Oct 22, 2017
Wisconsin
My Coop
My Coop
I have a little 3-4ish week old chick who’s been perfectly healthy and happy, but last night I came home and when checking on them I noticed Chick Jagger couldn’t stand and was basically throwing herself across the brooder, army-crawling to move. She can take a few steps but then falls. When I put her on her back I gently, slowly pulled each leg and her left leg stretched all the way but she resisted her right leg immediately. I think I see some red on her right hock like inflammation or something, but no bleeding or outer injuries so she may have sprained it somehow. Our “brooder” is a bookshelf we converted to a brooder and it has 3 levels (which used to be the shelves) with holes cut out and ladders between each of the floors. The chicks have all learned how to use the ladders, so they go up and down them often. I think Chick Jagger hurt herself when climbing or descending a ladder, and “twisted her hock” somehow. How should I take care of her? I have her on the lowest level with food, water, and heat, and she’s with her friends. Should I separate her? Make a cast? She WANTS to move and actively army-crawls to the water and food or her friends, so she isn’t declining. I just want her to heal or learn how to help her heal since I am leaving her with a sitter in 2 weeks while I’m away.

83A8A934-7BCC-49A5-BFE8-D6114FD4DE8F.jpeg

(Injured leg is the one on the left in this picture)

How's your chick doing? Can you post a video of the chick walking?
The chick healed up fine. She's still limping slightly but every day she's become more active and walked farther distances before sitting down. I think she pulled a charlie horse or whatever the chicken equivalent of that is, since nothing looks or looked wrong externally. But thank you for the reply!

Back
Top Bottom