Chick acting strangely

HeartlessDemon

In the Brooder
May 17, 2022
My hen is mother to four chicks, all a few weeks old. I noticed one chick was acting strange today.

Yesterday, I delivered the chickens some treats. The hen and other chicks were eating, but this one chick only ate a bite before wandering off. Today, the chick did the same thing.

I also caught the chick lying down with their eyes closed while the other chicks hung around mom, but the chick jumped up and ran to mom when I got a bit close.

A few minutes ago, I noticed my three other chicks were with mom, but this chick was a distance away, standing by themselves. After a moment, it rejoined the others. I watched them for a while after that, but they seemed to act normally.

Could there be something wrong with my chicken? Thanks!

Hi there, can you post pictures?
20220525_074116.png
20220525_074837.png

@nuthatched my chickens have turned in for the day. I'll try to grab a photo tomorrow! I also found this image from earlier today, but I doubt it's of much help.

The chick is the gray one in the top left corner. The other ones are yellow.

Attachments

• chickens.jpeg
    chickens.jpeg
    262.7 KB · Views: 7
  • graychick.jpg
    graychick.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 7
@nuthatched my chickens have turned in for the day. I'll try to grab a photo tomorrow! I also found this image from earlier today, but I doubt it's of much help.

The chick is the gray one in the top left corner. The other ones are yellow.
Hmmm, that is the 'I'm not feeling well' position, when you let them out in morning, can you feel her crop?

@nuthatched the chickens are all still awake, so I can try now. Is there anything I should be looking for?

Also, thank you for your help!
You're welcome. You want the crop to feel full but not doughy, squishy, balloons, or filled with fluid. Also check for any injuries or bumble foot. I had a hen hide a significant sore under her wing.

@nuthatched good to hear! I doubt they've eaten anything they weren't supposed to. If their crop is all right, is there anything else I should do right now, or just wait for day to come to grab a picture?

Sounds like an adventure, glad you were able to protect your chicken :)

@nuthatched good to hear! I doubt they've eaten anything they weren't supposed to. If their crop is all right, is there anything else I should do right now, or just wait for day to come to grab a picture?

Sounds like an adventure, glad you were able to protect your chicken :)
You can wait until day. Is it really hot there? I should have asked that first.

Back
Top Bottom