Chick afterbirth???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by nurschic, Aug 13, 2014.

1. nurschic

nurschic Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2014
    So far 4 out of 18 chicks have hatched…all by themselves. And I noticed when they come out they are bragging a green sac connected to them by a white cord…..it falls off, but is this normal??? This is my first hatch!

2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Congratulations on your first hatch! It's been a while since I've hatched with an incubator, but I think I remember that. As long as it's falling off and they're fine, don't worry about it.

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Perfectly normal, don't worry. It will fall off by itself within a few hours after the hatch.

4. nurschic

nurschic Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2014
    16 out of my 18 eggs have hatched!!! The 2 remaining eggs did not have pip's in them, so I took out all the chicks and egg shells and placed the unhatched eggs back inside the bator. I wrapped the eggs in warm wet paper towels and put them under the heat lamp until I got everyone out and the bator cleaned up. Hope that kept the humidity up enough for them. I will give them till monday to see if they hatch. That will be day 25. Not bad for my first hatch I think…..

Stats:
    24 eggs to start
    2 non fertile
    1 I thought was non fertile but developing….oppps!
    3 quitters
    18 went to lockdown
    16 hatched and waiting to see about the other 2

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    That's not bad! I hope the two remaining eggs hatch for you as well. If Monday is day 25 they may well.

6. spotsplus

spotsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2008
    Franklin, MA
    That's a good hatch! Congrats on the new chicks :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by