Chick attached to egg still! Help please, PIC!

parkerpeeps7

Chirping
8 Years
Aug 8, 2011
Georgia
Hi everyone, this chick just hatched out in the last hour but is still attached to the egg. Do I need to do anything at all? And also what is going on here and why is this happening.
:hmm Thank you! -Amy

It seems like it's "umbilical cord" hasn't broken off. What you can do is very carefully, with a sterile pair of scissors snip it and leave the cord stump. Try not to touch the cord stump if possibly. It will come off by itself. Then put the chick in the incubator until it's dry.

I just checked him and now he isn't attached anymore but what is hanging from his rump his like 2 inches long. I'll try and get another pic uploaded. He's ok, tired but ok.

It seems like it's "umbilical cord" hasn't broken off. What you can do is very carefully, with a sterile pair of scissors snip it and leave the cord stump. Try not to touch the cord stump if possibly. It will come off by itself. Then put the chick in the incubator until it's dry.
What does the umbilical cord look like?

That's normal hatching "goo." It's not organs or anything, so it can be removed. Most of the time you can just gently tug it and it comes off. If not, wait until it dried, then trim it off with a pair of clean, sharp scissors.

That's normal hatching "goo." It's not organs or anything, so it can be removed. Most of the time you can just gently tug it and it comes off. If not, wait until it dried, then trim it off with a pair of clean, sharp scissors.
Oh thank God! And thank you!! :) This is only our 2nd chick hatching in an incubator and I don't really know whats normal and what isn't, so I'm very relieved! Thank you again!

Back
Top Bottom