Chick bitten by dog, its neck is very dangly and can't stand normally. HELP!

pennys pups

In the Brooder
Oct 27, 2020
On October 26, 2020 (yesterday) my chick was bitten by my dog. The chick is around 2 months old. My dog was eating its food and the chick went up and tried to get some of the food and got bit. It started bleeding on its eye and pus started coming out of its neck. The neck is very dangly and loose that's why I made a neck brace out of toilet paper and cushioned it. I also applied some medicine to its eye and on the neck. The brace seems to be helping but it still can't stand normally and starts randomly moving around in the small box it's in. I am giving water with a baby bottle and seems to work; for food, the syringe I have is not big enough for the chicken food to pass through so what I do is take some wet chicken food on my finger, open its mouth, and put a small amount and its swallows it. A bit of a hassle though. Right now its nighttime (6:15 pm) and I wrapped it in a cloth and surrounded it with more cloth so it doesn't move and is comfy. It started quietly chirping infrequently and I became worried if something was wrong. However, 10-20 minutes later it stopped and I think it's alright now. My question though is how should I take care of its neck so it isn't so dangly and what can I do to make sure it heals properly and quickly.

On October 26, 2020 (yesterday) my chick was bitten by my dog. The chick is around 2 months old. My dog was eating its food and the chick went up and tried to get some of the food and got bit. It started bleeding on its eye and pus started coming out of its neck. The neck is very dangly and loose that's why I made a neck brace out of toilet paper and cushioned it. I also applied some medicine to its eye and on the neck. The brace seems to be helping but it still can't stand normally and starts randomly moving around in the small box it's in. I am giving water with a baby bottle and seems to work; for food, the syringe I have is not big enough for the chicken food to pass through so what I do is take some wet chicken food on my finger, open its mouth, and put a small amount and its swallows it. A bit of a hassle though. Right now its nighttime (6:15 pm) and I wrapped it in a cloth and surrounded it with more cloth so it doesn't move and is comfy. It started quietly chirping infrequently and I became worried if something was wrong. However, 10-20 minutes later it stopped and I think it's alright now. My question though is how should I take care of its neck so it isn't so dangly and what can I do to make sure it heals properly and quickly.
How is your chick doing?
Can you take some photos of her injuries, how she stands, etc.?

Some pictures of her. she keeps chirping but im not sure why. i don't know what to do.

Attachments

• IMG_0622.JPG
    IMG_0622.JPG
    575.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0632.JPG
    IMG_0632.JPG
    607.3 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0628.JPG
    IMG_0628.JPG
    584.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0675.JPG
    IMG_0675.JPG
    532.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0679.JPG
    IMG_0679.JPG
    488.7 KB · Views: 17
She's getting better. She opening her eyes more but they're closed most of the time. Pooping fine. The neck is still dangly. Can't really stand without hurting herself and toppling over. Will post pictures of her later.
Poor thing!
You keep mentioning that the neck is "dangly" do you mean she's not able to hold her head up on her own?
Can she eat on her own or are you having to syringe or tube fluids and food into her?
Any odors form her injuries?

Sometimes when one is injured, the best you can do is make sure they are getting plenty of fluids and nutrition. I would also give her vitamins that contain E, B1 and B2. You can do that with Poultry Cell or give her 1 Vitamin E capsule and 1/4 tablet of B-Complex daily.

The chirping may be she's uncomfortable or in pain, cold...hard to know.

Give her a bit of time and she if she improves, but also consider that she may have suffered from irreversible neurological damage.

Poor thing!
You keep mentioning that the neck is "dangly" do you mean she's not able to hold her head up on her own?
Can she eat on her own or are you having to syringe or tube fluids and food into her?
Any odors form her injuries?

Sometimes when one is injured, the best you can do is make sure they are getting plenty of fluids and nutrition. I would also give her vitamins that contain E, B1 and B2. You can do that with Poultry Cell or give her 1 Vitamin E capsule and 1/4 tablet of B-Complex daily.

The chirping may be she's uncomfortable or in pain, cold...hard to know.

Give her a bit of time and she if she improves, but also consider that she may have suffered from irreversible neurological damage.

Yeah, she can't hold her up by herself but when she's eating food she has no problem with lifting it up and eating by herself. Her neck is getting better though.
I use a baby bottle to give her water, but she can eat and drink by herself. Fortunately, no odors coming from her injury. I'll see what I can do about the vitamins.
What's weird though at night she doesn't chirp at all even though it is cold. However, during the day she is the loudest. Maybe because she wants to get up and run around? She likes to make a fuss and jerk around when I try to hold her and wrap her in a cloth so she's warm.
I'm really hoping that she gets better and can start walking again. Thanks for all your help :)

Back
Top Bottom