Chick born with crusty inflamed bald spot on back

Monateru

Chirping
Jun 7, 2017
IMG_3376.JPG
IMG_3377.JPG
Help! My hen hatched a chick this morning and he is deformed! He has this bald spot on his back that looks sore and inflamed. Other than that he is walking fine, eating a little, and making lots of noise! I have him inside with me. I made a little crate for him, heated, with bedding , food ,and water. As of right now I have him in my shirt sleeping. What is that deformity? Will he survive? And what can I do? I had to remove him from his moma "Norma" because she was pecking at his spot.

Ok now I'm thinking that chick had some shell stuck to it's back and mom tried to remove it overzealous or little guy just got stuck to the shell.Can't put it back with mom until it isn't bloody anymore or it will probably just get pecked, also not alot you can do except clean it with mild soap maybe put a little antibiotic ointment on it.When you do put it back keep a close eye on things. Good news it's not deformed just a little bald.

Broodies can be high strung and impulsive. I'm also inclined to believe this is a pecking injury from the broody, possible as the chick was in the process of trying to get out of the shell.

I would paint the wound with Blue-lotion and place the chick back with the broody.

View attachment 1034509 View attachment 1034510 Help! My hen hatched a chick this morning and he is deformed! He has this bald spot on his back that looks sore and inflamed. Other than that he is walking fine, eating a little, and making lots of noise! I have him inside with me. I made a little crate for him, heated, with bedding , food ,and water. As of right now I have him in my shirt sleeping. What is that deformity? Will he survive? And what can I do? I had to remove him from his moma "Norma" because she was pecking at his spot.
He'll be fine. It's just where egg shell got stuck to him. His fuzz will fill back in.

Sadly this little chick, who I named Alex, passed away. His wound was pretty severe. It swelled up and got red and hot. He passed away from the infection in the night.

Back
Top Bottom