Chick born with weird feet

Does the electrolyte packet include vitamins? She really needs vitamins, especially vitamin B2 or riboflavin. Toes curled into a claw are B2 deficiency from the parents. In this link they mistakenly call vitamin B2 vitamin G, but it is riboflavin: http://www.apa-abayouthpoultryclub.org/Edu_Material/VITAMINS.pdf
The chick definitely need vitamin B 12, Riboflavin and etc. A lack vitamin B that causes the problem (Specifically in the mother but now the chick has the defect). The splinting helps getting around but the vitamin b will help fix the problem. Some electrolyte solutions have vitamin b added. Please check the package. The electrolyte vitamin combo solution would be good in the correct amount.

On splinting, I notice most recommend sports tape but beware it can be slippery and a pain. I like the self adhesive because the rubbery elastic makes it non slip and less chance of compounded leg problems

Last edited:
Question:: Could Vit-B deficiency (or other type vit deficiency) be the cause for a different type of leg issue.. In 2010 we got an incubator and went wild with hatching out chicks.. With our 1st clutch of eggs we had a chick hatch that could not walk because his one of his legs was splayed out, and kind twisted, and the other he could not straighten. We put him in a basket w/another chick and kept an eye on him (he turned out to be a boy). I though I might have to put him down, but this little chick just kept trying his little heart out. It took about 2 weeks but he got his legs straightened out and was walking fine.. grow into a really nice young man. to bad he became dinner...We thought that maybe it was just the way his legs ended up inside the shell (my daughter was born Splay Legged, her feet was up by her head) WE have had a couple more chicks hatch that way from my cross bred stock over the last 4 years.. Then I ordered Dorking from McMurray Hatchery last summer and 1 of the pullets walked around for about 2-3 weeks with stiff legs.. She fine now, but does have a hernia on the back of her neck..??.. Anyway could a Vit min deficiency have possibly been the cause?

Question:: Could Vit-B deficiency (or other type vit deficiency) be the cause for a different type of leg issue.. In 2010 we got an incubator and went wild with hatching out chicks.. With our 1st clutch of eggs we had a chick hatch that could not walk because his one of his legs was splayed out, and kind twisted, and the other he could not straighten. We put him in a basket w/another chick and kept an eye on him (he turned out to be a boy). I though I might have to put him down, but this little chick just kept trying his little heart out. It took about 2 weeks but he got his legs straightened out and was walking fine.. grow into a really nice young man. to bad he became dinner...We thought that maybe it was just the way his legs ended up inside the shell (my daughter was born Splay Legged, her feet was up by her head) WE have had a couple more chicks hatch that way from my cross bred stock over the last 4 years.. Then I ordered Dorking from McMurray Hatchery last summer and 1 of the pullets walked around for about 2-3 weeks with stiff legs.. She fine now, but does have a hernia on the back of her neck..??.. Anyway could a Vit min deficiency have possibly been the cause?
Yes. Most chicks born with leg issues is caused by lack of vitamin B in the mom. Consider it the hen not taking the right nutrition and prenatal vitamins.

It can sometimes be corrected slightly with vitamin b and splinting however it will never have a perfect show chicken leg

Second question. don't know about hernia need pictures for a clearer answer.

Nice to know about the Vit b deficiency issue..Now I know.. and not showing chickens, but I do try to avoid breeding anything that does show an abnomality, just in case. I am just O.C. D. that way. As far as the hen with the hernia goes, She does have hernia, I just hit the wrong stupid button again, and beings my computer was acting up, I missed that mistake, Sorry. IF she wasnt my daughter pet chicken, I would cull her. But she my daughter's Lap Chicken and she is in the Banty pen, so we're good right now. We are just keeping a eye on it..

Oh and I didnt think of it until just now... Part of the parent stock that he came from was very poor quality Columbian Rocks. He was a cross between G. Sexlink and Columbian Rock. Anyway the parent stock seemed fine, but most of the pure breed Colum Rock chicks would reach about 4 mth old then actually starve to death. The only way I could keep them 'healthy' was to being them back in the house, put them in a small cage, and put them back on chick feed. We had a few cross bred chick w/the same issue, but it was mainly with Pure Colum Rock chick. and when it got cold, more started show the same issue. Needless to say I culled them all..cross breeds too..

However none of the other chicks, out of 4 batches we hatched that year had any leg problems..it was just him.. and by time he was about 4-6 weeks old you'd never know he had legs issues..

Like the diagram too.. thanks!!

Well, the electrolye packet I used had everything but Vitamin B. So I dug around in my medicine box & found a mix that does have B12 & Folic Acid. I think that's B6, right? Anyway, I'll look today for some specifif B vitamin packets.

Not sure how others do such a good job splinting the toes. Was kind of like wrestling a 20 pound sack of snakes. Did a pretty crummy job. But I'll get the right tape & try again.

Any thoughts on how long they have to stay wrapped up?

Right now the best I could do was stick her toes to a cardboard sandal with band aids. I figure it's better than nothing. I'll buy the right materials today.

You will need to change the sandals every 3 days. It will be like shoe shopping every 3 days for the chick
big_smile.png
. Careful with the cardboard and be sure and cover it with a non slip material.Riboflavin is the most important one. It will help correct the problem. It's typically considered a b vitamin but sometimes people call it vitamin g.

Back
Top Bottom