Chick Broke Egg Yolk Inside Egg

Ponyroc

Hatching
Sep 4, 2020
I'm curious about the survival rate of one of our chicks. He pipped on day 21 and partially zipped later that day. The egg then started leaking white foaming liquid and then later, it started turning more yellow coloured. I know I shouldn't help them hatch, so I left it for two days. It was still peeping those two days later and definitely alive. I decided to help it out. I attempted three times, the first two I nearly hit fresh veins so I decided to stop and the third, I waited another day until I knew it was properly dried out. By then, the yolk had really solidified its feathers together and we had to very carefully use a wet q-tip to gently unglue the head from the body and the wing from its face.

It is now standing in the incubator and peeping very often. I have added a small stuffed toy for company. The right-wing, which was glued to its face, seems dislocated and just hangs but it doesn't seem bothered by it. It has access to food and water but does not seem all too interested yet, only having a small bit of each. We had 13 other chicks hatch in the span of those few days.

The incubator used for this particular chick was the Brinsea Mini II Advance if that helps.

I had a very sticky chick. I filled the sink up with warm water and washed the chick with my daughters foamy baby wash. Others on here have said they use regular hand soap. I kept the chick in a towel and very gently rubbed until it was dry. Couple hours later it fluffed. I'm not sure about the wing though... Can you post pics?

20200905_103429.jpg

@TheMother Yes, he looks awful (sorry for the blurry pic). He definitely needs a bath or something. He survived the night and has now started eating and drinking, he often tips over his little water so I'm cleaning the incubator he's staying in now. He can stand on his own just fine.

I do think that right wing is dislocated or something because it never moves when he's balancing himself and the shoulder area looked weird when he came out. I was more so curious that if not getting all the yolk would cause problems for him later on. I honestly thought he would've died puncturing the yolk whilst hatching. Any suggestions on how to clean him up are well appreciated though!

View attachment 2320360
@TheMother Yes, he looks awful (sorry for the blurry pic). He definitely needs a bath or something. He survived the night and has now started eating and drinking, he often tips over his little water so I'm cleaning the incubator he's staying in now. He can stand on his own just fine.

I do think that right wing is dislocated or something because it never moves when he's balancing himself and the shoulder area looked weird when he came out. I was more so curious that if not getting all the yolk would cause problems for him later on. I honestly thought he would've died puncturing the yolk whilst hatching. Any suggestions on how to clean him up are well appreciated though!
I think if he's made it this far whatever yolk that hasn't been absorbed won't be a big deal. I know when my chick was covered in the sticky stuff she moved a little differently than the others just because her movement was prohibited by it. Maybe it's the case here. It'll be hard to tell until you're able to give the little guy a bath. Any updates on the chick?

I think if he's made it this far whatever yolk that hasn't been absorbed won't be a big deal. I know when my chick was covered in the sticky stuff she moved a little differently than the others just because her movement was prohibited by it. Maybe it's the case here. It'll be hard to tell until you're able to give the little guy a bath. Any updates on the chick?
I gave him a bath earlier today so he looks a bit better now. Just waiting for him to fluff up now. He is still eating and drinking well. There has been a slight improvement to his wing after the bath but he still doesn't move it often.
20200905_180434.jpg
20200905_180412.jpg

You can use a dry soft toothbrush to help remove any remaining gunk...
..or your finger tips/nails to gently preen it off.

Back
Top Bottom