Chick can't sit up - lays over on its side

Backyard_herdz

Hatching
Jun 10, 2020
I have a chick that hatched 2 days ago and since he hatched, something has been wrong with his right leg. He can't sit like a normal chick at all...instead he lays on his right side. If I lay him down on his left side he rolls over to the right. When I hold him up and try to make him walk, he hops around on his left leg a little bit but his right leg seems almost useless. He also seems to have a crook in his neck and tilts his head a little bit. I made him a chick chair but when I put him in it, he just freaks out and uses his left leg to push himself out. I've been hand feeding him and he eats and drinks like a normal chick. I'm having trouble with uploading a picture but I'll try again later. Any insight would be very helpful. Thanks!

Stipenvlerk

Crowing
May 22, 2020
The Netherlands
Welcome to BYC, sorry to hear you have problems. You can upload a picture by clicking on “attach files” in the bottom left corner of where you type your messages.

pictures will definitely help people help you!

Incubator Madness

In the Brooder
Jun 8, 2019
I have a chick that hatched 2 days ago and since he hatched, something has been wrong with his right leg. He can't sit like a normal chick at all...instead he lays on his right side. If I lay him down on his left side he rolls over to the right. When I hold him up and try to make him walk, he hops around on his left leg a little bit but his right leg seems almost useless. He also seems to have a crook in his neck and tilts his head a little bit. I made him a chick chair but when I put him in it, he just freaks out and uses his left leg to push himself out. I've been hand feeding him and he eats and drinks like a normal chick. I'm having trouble with uploading a picture but I'll try again later. Any insight would be very helpful. Thanks!
Possibly an onset of Marek's disease, or a misaligned/misplaced leg tendon, or dislocated hip, wry neck???

Backyard_herdz

Hatching
Jun 10, 2020
His tendons seem to be in place and so does hip. His neck doesn't seem very severe as pictures I see of wry neck in other chicks. He just tends to hold his head to the right. He's very alert, he just can't sit or stand. I wish I could upload a picture but my internet isn't strong enough.

Top Bottom