Chick can't sit up - lays over on its side

Backyard_herdz

Hatching
Jun 10, 2020
I have a chick that hatched 2 days ago and since he hatched, something has been wrong with his right leg. He can't sit like a normal chick at all...instead he lays on his right side. If I lay him down on his left side he rolls over to the right. When I hold him up and try to make him walk, he hops around on his left leg a little bit but his right leg seems almost useless. He also seems to have a crook in his neck and tilts his head a little bit. I made him a chick chair but when I put him in it, he just freaks out and uses his left leg to push himself out. I've been hand feeding him and he eats and drinks like a normal chick. I'm having trouble with uploading a picture but I'll try again later. Any insight would be very helpful. Thanks!

Welcome to BYC, sorry to hear you have problems. You can upload a picture by clicking on “attach files” in the bottom left corner of where you type your messages.

pictures will definitely help people help you!

I have a chick that hatched 2 days ago and since he hatched, something has been wrong with his right leg. He can't sit like a normal chick at all...instead he lays on his right side. If I lay him down on his left side he rolls over to the right. When I hold him up and try to make him walk, he hops around on his left leg a little bit but his right leg seems almost useless. He also seems to have a crook in his neck and tilts his head a little bit. I made him a chick chair but when I put him in it, he just freaks out and uses his left leg to push himself out. I've been hand feeding him and he eats and drinks like a normal chick. I'm having trouble with uploading a picture but I'll try again later. Any insight would be very helpful. Thanks!
Possibly an onset of Marek's disease, or a misaligned/misplaced leg tendon, or dislocated hip, wry neck???

His tendons seem to be in place and so does hip. His neck doesn't seem very severe as pictures I see of wry neck in other chicks. He just tends to hold his head to the right. He's very alert, he just can't sit or stand. I wish I could upload a picture but my internet isn't strong enough.

Back
Top Bottom