Chick cant stand ~~ not splay legged Update last post

AkTomboy

Songster
10 Years
Apr 21, 2009
DJ, Alaska
I have a chick who is only a few days old that is not able to stand. It does not have splay leg, and was not helped out of the shell it did it all on its own.

Its legs are out front making him sit on his hocks, it is full of life and rolls and schooches around so much so it has two sores on its hocks. I have since added the stick part of a bandaide to the two lil scabbs from the schooching. So what else can I do? It can move its legs and all toes, both legs and feet are warm to the touch, it just cant seem to stand on them.

Here is a post with pics of a chick that seemed to have the same thing being I cant get my phone to upload the photos.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=343549

Should I just wait it out more? Cull? Try somthing else? I have back surgery comming up so I got to get this lil one up and going being my critter sitter will not be in the house 24/7 while Im gone. Thank you all for help

Last edited:
had the same thing happen a couple weeks ago. I took a wash cloth and rolled it up and made a doughnut out of it. Sat the chick in the middle and eased it's legs through. Few hours later it was running around. I gave it almost 2 days to see if it would correct itself when I did it. Good luck

Quote:
Thats a great idea, I was trying to figure out how to make a sling of some sort! Thank you for the fast reply as well

I think it just gently repositions their legs, I was surprised it worked so fast for mine...

Quote:
Thats a great idea, I was trying to figure out how to make a sling of some sort! Thank you for the fast reply as well

Maybe get a real donut so it can eat it way to health??
big_smile.png
big_smile.png

(sorry, had to!!)

Quote:
yep, that's what happened to mine. Took 3 tries to get it in, then I left and came back and it's feet were under it! seemed more like a toddler learning to walk but it was a heck of a lot better than looking like it did.
Yay
wee.gif

I kept puttin the lil booger in it over and over and it just climbed right out and schooched around then last night it started walking and today its running all around Thanks for all the help!

Back
Top Bottom