chick can't walk- help?

Jrose

Songster
8 Years
Jun 6, 2013
I've got a 5-6 day old chick. The hatcher said it got stuck under something and he didn't hear/find it until a day later. The chick hobbles along using mostly wing power, both legs are folded under it, like it's laying down to sleep, toes curled.

I just got it yesterday and have been gently stretching the legs out every few hours. Tonight I tried 20 minutes in a chick chair, from reading online, but realized I can't leave it unattended overnight due to temperature . The chick can't move for heat regulation.

The little guy is being a trooper, eating and drinking and getting around. The legs arent swollen and are a normal width apart. Not splayed.

I am willing to work to rehab this chick. Any suggestions?

(Yes in aware sometimes culling is neseccary, no need to remind me)

Last edited:
Following up. Chick is walking 90% normal. Diligent stretching, guided walking, hobbles, and some chick chair time have paid off! I'm so pleased!!!

if the toes are curled, I would make the chickie little sandals using band-aids and thin cardboard, or electrical tape. Here is a photo of a chick wearing sandals:

this chick had a broken foot, it walked on the ankle with the foot folded backwards underneath, the ankle joint was swollen 5x normal size, and the toes were shattered. this chick recovered completely and has perfect toes!

if the legs are not splayed in your chick, the only problem is the curled toes? and the fact that it walks strangely? would it be hard to take a video? I hope the sandals are the answer.

here is a good link about possible leg injuries, a big one to look at is the slipped tendon. if this is the case, it must be fixed asap or may cause irreparable damage.
https://sites.google.com/a/larsencreek.com/chicken-orthopedics/leg-braces

if the toes are curled, I would make the chickie little sandals using band-aids and thin cardboard, or electrical tape. Here is a photo of a chick wearing sandals: this chick had a broken foot, it walked on the ankle with the foot folded backwards underneath, the ankle joint was swollen 5x normal size, and the toes were shattered. this chick recovered completely and has perfect toes! if the legs are not splayed in your chick, the only problem is the curled toes? and the fact that it walks strangely? would it be hard to take a video? I hope the sandals are the answer. here is a good link about possible leg injuries, a big one to look at is the slipped tendon. if this is the case, it must be fixed asap or may cause irreparable damage. https://sites.google.com/a/larsencreek.com/chicken-orthopedics/leg-braces
Thanks for the reply. I have not found any articles that describe what's happening. Slipped tendons say there's swelling involved. My chick has no swelling or deformities. Its like its legs are too weak and it can't walk. I'll see if I can get photos or something. Sandals would straighten the toes but won't help it walk...

if it has a slipped tendon, the leg will not go straight, ever. thus it cannot bear weight on the leg.
usually it will favor the non-slipped tendon leg, but the slipped leg won't splay out, it will stay folded up.

Quote: Physical Therapy for Trouble Standing and Walking

• Use to treat Splayed Leg or other problems with chick holding legs incorrectly.
    • Can be done even while chick is wearing Leg Hobbles.
  • Helps the chick "practice" walking correctly. The main purpose is to reprogram its brain patterns, but therapy also helps develop needed muscles.
    • It is better for a chick to spend time sitting or lying down than using its legs wrong.
  • Support chick's body a little while gently pointing its legs forward and extended like they should be while standing. Try to lessen your support of its body for a moment or two and hopefully it will push up with its legs and find out that leg angle and position is a good one for balancing.
    • If it's 5+ days old, you can also hold up a treat above its head to encourage it to increasingly push up with its legs to grab the treat. It's okay the chick's legs and balance will be wobbly at first and that it falls over sometimes--just catch and steady it with your hands.
      • Good treats: Very small piece of bread, tomato, strawberry, banana, lettuce, spinach, grass, etc.
        • Be sure to add a bit of chick-sized grit (tiny stones or coarse sand) to chick's diet if offering treats.
  • Gradually progress to using your fingers around its legs to move/step them forward one at a time so the chick learns to take steps and walk correctly.
  • Number of sessions for newly hatched chick:
    • Days 1-3: Minimum of six 30-second to 2 minute sessions per day.
    • Days 4-5: Minimum of nine 1 to 3 minute sessions per day.
    • Days 6-7: As needed.

that is AWESOME news!! great job :)
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom