Chick Death-Insight Please!

brookelynn724

In the Brooder
Mar 11, 2017
Evansville, IN
I have my recent batch of 3 barred rock girls and 3 silver laced Wyandotte girls I purchased at the same time. They were the same size upon purchase and up until recently have been as well. My Wyandottes are quite smaller than the Rocks for some reason.
Anyway, I have had the girls inside in their brooder until yesterday. We had my daughter's second birthday party and I put them in the garage (heat lamp off) temps around 85 with the garage door open to let a breeze in. I went in there this morning to bring them back inside, and one of my Wyandottes was lying there dead, everyone else was fine. Anyone have any ideas what could've happened?

Could have been too hot, but sometimes one just dies for no apparent reason. Usually there was something internally wrong with them like an improperly developed organ, or other birth defects.

How secure is the brooder? My first thought was perhaps a cat went in the open garage? They sometimes kill and just leave it. But, the smaller size could indicate internal problems, too.

Did you examine the body of the dead chick? Puncture wound(s)? Was there any wetness on the body, down matted? Was there a top to the brooder preventing access by a cat or other animal?

Had you noticed any difference in the behavior of this chick from the others? Is the only difference that it was much smaller?

This information will enable us to make an educated guess as opposed to randomly guessing.

Back
Top Bottom