Chick died- how to take care of mama?

sareydoll

Chirping
Jun 26, 2021
Houston, TX
Our mama silkie is very attached to her 3 month old baby. They do not go anywhere without each other. Today, while they were out free-ranging, a wild bird swooped in and struck the chick, killing it instantly. We brought them both inside, and Smoky immediately sat down next to Pudding, making little distressed purrs but not moving from the baby’s side. She gets upset when we try to move her from the baby. She obviously understands that her chick is dead, but will she snap out of it herself and leave it, or do I take it from her now?

Poor thing!! I'd be inclined to get her back with the flock for companionship asap, even if she's distressed at first. As tragic as it is, chickens are resilient and built to endure and recover pretty quickly.

I'm truly sorry for you and her. :hugs

Poor thing!! I'd be inclined to get her back with the flock for companionship asap, even if she's distressed at first. As tragic as it is, chickens are resilient and built to endure and recover pretty quickly.

I'm truly sorry for you and her. :hugs
Thank you so much for your quick reply and hugs. I’ll give it a shot. She’s stayed to herself since the baby was born, so we’ll see. 👏🏻

Back
Top Bottom