Chick doesn’t each much

fanynany

Songster
Aug 22, 2020
Texas
I was given pepper to raise since his mother would peck at it and would neglect it and no other chickens wanted him, he’s been with me for 2 days and he hasn’t eaten much and would rather spend all day cuddling asleep, could it be that pepper is lonely? none of my local animal supply shops have chicks in stock, and my chicken who recently hatched chicks absolutely does not want him, i tried bringing in one of her chicks but it just spent the entire time looking for it’s mom since it’s been with her the whole time unlike pepper, should i try putting in a mirror & a stuffed animal? he pecks at his food but doesn’t show much interest in it, i also tried mixing it into a paste but he just fell asleep on it :>
4629D7E6-2A7F-4CC9-B32B-82CFC58F9925.jpeg

The mama probably sensed something was wrong with it thats why she tried to kill it to protect the flock. Maybe try some nutidrench or sugar water see if it perks up some. Usually if I have a chick thats goin out pretty quick I just help it along a little faster to end the suffering. But you could turn it around never know.
he seems okay, he walks around pecking at colorful things or explores his box, he slept well last night and just woke up to drink some water & wanted to be held, i didn’t think anything was wrong i just thought he was lonely but i’ll keep an eye out.

I wonder if you tried again with one of her chicks and left it longer with yours if it would settle down with it. I've never tried it it may work. It might take several hours or a day or so for the one from mama to kinda get accustomed to being with that one.

I dunno if there's any way to sneak yours under the mama hen one night, maybe she'll forget it was different and take it in with the others as long as its not acting differently. Again never tried it I have gave a broody hen chicks and she take them but not one with chicks.

I dunno if there's any way to sneak yours under the mama hen one night, maybe she'll forget it was different and take it in with the others as long as its not acting differently. Again never tried it I have gave a broody hen chicks and she take them but not one with chicks.
Her chicks are white and brown and pepper is black so who knows, i tried introducing him through the fence just showing her the chick and she puffed up and jumped at the fence, then today i was sitting with her and just showing her the chick and i let it onto the ground and she jumped at him, i covered him with my hand and she still tried to peck at it, i took him out because i didn’t want him to get hurt, maybe i’ll try again at night since she’s more sleepy and relaxed

https://youtube.com/shorts/IOl1nWR4vvY?feature=share

my camera is broken sorry about that but he’s pecking around at his food and before this he was flapping his wings around, he does seem to favor the oats i gave him rather than his actual chick feed
Yeah its up doing good. From the photo in the first post I thought it was on its way out. Do you have a hear source in the brooder for it like a red heat lamp or a brooder plate? If it were me I'd get one of mamas bittys and bring it in to give company. Its gonna cry and peep but I think with heat and time they would do good together in there.

Yeah its up doing good. From the photo in the first post I thought it was on its way out. Do you have a hear source in the brooder for it like a red heat lamp or a brooder plate? If it were me I'd get one of mamas bittys and bring it in to give company. Its gonna cry and peep but I think with heat and time they would do good.
Pep has a heating pad under his towels, it has a low, medium & high setting, it’s super hot in my house since our ac broke and i live in texas so i keep it at low and a night i build him like a little fort on top of the pad and snuggle him with old tshirts and he stays warm, i’ll give the baby a try, last time i took one and she got mad and tried to come for it so we’ll see :)

Back
Top Bottom