Chick drowned in water dish

So so sorry! I had that happen to me last year. This year I switched to quail watering bases in the brooder and that has worked out very well. There is not enough room for them to get soaked. So far so good.

So so sorry! I had that happen to me last year. This year I switched to quail watering bases in the brooder and that has worked out very well. There is not enough room for them to get soaked. So far so good.

Where did you find watering bases specific for quail? I want some!!!

I use the quail watering base. The only problem was that they were filling it with debris so quickly. I fixed that. I put it on a block of wood. Now that the big ones are out, I don't have to worry about them tipping it over.

One of my chickens drowned in a small concrete pond yesterday. It was full of water after the winter and chickens would drink from it. When the spring came the water started to get lower and it became harder for them to keep balance. I'm sure she slipped in and drown. I feel horrible since I thought it could happen and was wandering about ideas how to prevent exactly this. I could have just refilled the pond. She was a rescue from a battery cage farm. RIP chicken and please forgive me.

One of my chickens drowned in a small concrete pond yesterday. It was full of water after the winter and chickens would drink from it. When the spring came the water started to get lower and it became harder for them to keep balance. I'm sure she slipped in and drown. I feel horrible since I thought it could happen and was wandering about ideas how to prevent exactly this. I could have just refilled the pond. She was a rescue from a battery cage farm. RIP chicken and please forgive me.

My husband and I always put a long tree branch/limb in out water troughs. That way if any small animal falls in it can climb out by the limb. I have seen our farm cats, squirrels and chickens get out using them.

sorry for your loss there, I too learned a lesson I had 6 chicks and a duckling and we lost one of the orpington which were the only about a week old and had them for 4 days. now we are going to be taking the bigger duck watering one out, it may have been playing duck in it as the duck liked to get in it and get wet but we had watched them all day and none of the chicks had gone near it even.

chalk it up to a learning experience

Okay, funny story!! You know you love your chicks when you go to check on them, find one in the watering dish drowning and do mouth to beak resuscitation. Yes, I did. I opened it's little beak, blew into it and did a little push on it's chest, & blew a couple of more breaths into it's beak. Although I will say that my mouth did NOT touch the beak. AND YES the chick lived. It gave a little cough, up came the water, & after a few minuets it went back to doing it's chick thing!!!
Okay, you can stop laughing now and wondering about my mental state. I couldn't just let it die without trying something. My husband thought I was super woman, my son couldn't stop laughing as well as his friends, but at least I have a great story to tell on myself. Enjoy!!!

Back
Top Bottom