1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chick drowned in water dish

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by zowieyellowflame, Jun 3, 2011.

1. JusticeFamilyFarm

JusticeFamilyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    Southern California
    Aw... I'm sorry. Don't be too hard on yourself, things happen. [​IMG]

2. kara_leigh

kara_leigh Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Bradleyville, MO
    I'm so sorry! I lost a chick yesterday and I feel responsible also. I know there was probably nothing I could have done, just failure to thrive, but I feel like I should have been able to do more. (((hug)))

3. ragerkid2

ragerkid2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Johnstown Pa
    Quote:X2
    Sorry about your baby:hugs

4. tclegg

tclegg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Parkersburg
    I am sorry...maybe not mean much but please don't worry...you could have not known you did what you could and known...Hugs and love...

5. zowieyellowflame

zowieyellowflame Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    Nova Scotia
    Thanks for your replies everyone. I have large rocks in the water dish.... I think a drowning is near impossible now. The big chickens just drink in between them. Mom and remaining 7 chicks are doing good.

6. Solar Momma

Solar Momma New Egg

Jun 20, 2012
    Oh man, [​IMG]. We just lost a chick to drowning today too. Our little black frizzle. We had a small water bottle with the red bottom. Didn't think they would drown in so little. My daughter has lost a couple of chicks recently and it's really heart breaking. Sorry for your loss. I felt guilty too. If only I had not stayed at work as long as I did. If only I had brought them in with me (which I have done before). Ugh. Sucky. I put marbles in the water dish. Hope you feel better soon.

7. chickfamilyonsleepyhollow

chickfamilyonsleepyhollow Chillin' With My Peeps

Sorry for your loss [​IMG]

8. Chickens143

Chickens143 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2012
    New jersey
    I had somthing just like that, but except it was all my fault...[​IMG]
    i didnt leave enought space between my waterer and the wall, the chick was curious and it climbed behind
    the water and got stuck. i found it a little under the waterer dead. i felt so bad i started to cry.
    I didnt know i wasnt saposed to put the waterer to close to the wall.
    So words of advice, dont put your waterer right next to the wall, leave space so the chick can walk through!!![​IMG]

9. WinterDryden

WinterDryden New Egg

Mar 27, 2013
    This is the first time I've encountered this problem with baby chicks. We have a regular plastic waterer with the screw on bowl. I've found 2 chicks drowned in the water laying upside down in the past 2 days. I'm not sure what's going on since it's never been a problem before!

10. jobouss

jobouss Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2013
    Tupelo, MS
    Put some pebbles or marbles in the water. They can still drink just fine, but it will not be deep enough to drown in. Sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by