CHICK EMERGENCY LEG WON'T WORK PROPERLY

LhickenChicken

Free Ranging
Jan 5, 2023
I am right now kinda scared. I bought 50 meat chicks. One of them died yesterday, and now today one of them has a problem with it's leg. There is swelling on the leg and it looks red. What can I do for it? I don want to lose it.

I am right now kinda scared. I bought 50 meat chicks. One of them died yesterday, and now today one of them has a problem with it's leg. There is swelling on the leg and it looks red. What can I do for it? I don want to lose it.
There could be a few things wrong, but it could possibly be a slipped tendon. Send pictures. Can it even get around? It may be kinder to cull it if it’s suffering.

How old are your chicks? Did you get them with the intent to process them for meat?
Because of the genetics, they've been bred for rapid growth for meat production, they tend to have poor organs (sudden death from heart attack is not uncommon), bone issues, and short lives. Some people try to keep them longer, it's necessary to restrict their feed to do that, to try to slow their growth some. They still rarely live terribly long.
https://www.oakhillhomestead.com/2020/06/what-you-need-to-know-about-meat-birds.html

How old are your chicks? Did you get them with the intent to process them for meat?
Because of the genetics, they've been bred for rapid growth for meat production, they tend to have poor organs (sudden death from heart attack is not uncommon), bone issues, and short lives. Some people try to keep them longer, it's necessary to restrict their feed to do that, to try to slow their growth some. They still rarely live terribly long.
https://www.oakhillhomestead.com/2020/06/what-you-need-to-know-about-meat-birds.html
The Cornishes are 1 week old as of today, and yes I was intending to get them processed for meat. I was told that for 2 weeks you let them have free-feeding and after that you restrict their feed.

2 losses out of 50 isn't that bad. I know that sounds harsh, and it's not meant that way. It's just part of raising them.
Also, when I got them they had been started on medicated chick feed, and I had to transition them to non-medicated chick starter, because that medicated stuff is EXPENSIVE. But I have another one that isn't a meatie and it is sick. So I am going to buy some medicated stuff for both cause they're mixed together.

Back
Top Bottom