Chick emergency

jjrj254

Songster
7 Years
Mar 29, 2013
I had a broody hen who decided she was going to kill her babies as they were born so I took the remaining eggs out and I placed them under a heat lamp (I have no incubator) so they could finish hatching, they hatched out that night but it's been 2 days and they are not eating or drinking, and they can't seem to walk, one attempts to walk but after a small distance he falls on his back and the other basically drags himself around, they are active but won't eat or drink and their crop is empty, any help will be appreciated!

I had a broody hen who decided she was going to kill her babies as they were born so I took the remaining eggs out and I placed them under a heat lamp (I have no incubator) so they could finish hatching, they hatched out that night but it's been 2 days and they are not eating or drinking, and they can't seem to walk, one attempts to walk but after a small distance he falls on his back and the other basically drags himself around, they are active but won't eat or drink and their crop is empty, any help will be appreciated!

You need to get some Poultry Nutri-Drench into them they are too weak to digest electrolytes. PND doesn't need digesting it mainlines directly into the bloodstream 50% uptake in 10 minutes; 99% uptake in 30 minutes. You can get it at your feed store or Tractor Supply. If they are out of the Drench you can use Pet Nutri-Drops at the same dosage and usage instructions as the Drench per the science techs at Bovidr Labs which makes both formulas. Just one drop per chick by mouth every 8-10 hrs. as needed and 4cc per gallon of water. It will give them the nutrition and energy they need to start eating.
Buy a cc marked syringe at the store. Throw away the needle and use it to measure.
Read more here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/746509/how-to-deal-with-travel-stress-in-baby-chicks
Best Success,
Karen in western PA, USA

If your stores are out of both products don't despair. The techs at Bovidr Labs told me that tho their products are species specific, they also meet the scientific standards for a universal dosage. So if they have any of the other Drenches you can substitute them as a stop gap until you can get the Pet Nutri-Drops or Poultry Nutri-Drench. Use the dosages in the URL above about Travel Stress.

Last edited:
I'm currently in school, but I will try my best to go to the feed store ASAP but they're currently in a box inside the garage with a heat lamp

Back
Top Bottom